Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to work on a 2006 600 rhino for a friend who just bought this thing from some family member. He was told they took it to a guy to have it tuned and they were never happy with it again, hence why my friend now owns it. When cold it takes a long time to crank it even with choke on. If you give it a quick shot of start fluid it will fire up and run. Idles is rough until warm. Once cranked and warm it will crank better but still not like it should. Does have power and runs great with the exception of one large pop/backfire every time you come down from WOT. This machine looks to have aftermarket exhaust with no silencers (look like regular exhaust tips), and what looks like a K&N filter with stock air box. Carb has a 158 main jet and A/F screw is sitting at 4 turns out. Needle is currently sitting on the #2 slot (the middle). I have tried moving the needle up and down and changing the A/F needle to 2.5 turns and then slowly up and nothing has seamed to make a difference. If anything made it worse. When cold if you try to give it gas it just back fire through the intake and dies. He has a jet kit that I can use to change jets around if needed but I need some advise on where I should start. Any and all help is greatly needed and appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Put a primer bulb on it for cold starts, the backfire when letting off may b an intake leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where or how does a primer bulb go on these? I checked all the clamps making sure they were all on and tight. I can go back and see if I missed a crack in the boot or something.

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Welcome to the site. X2 primer bulb, as fuel pumps are low pressure takes a lot of cranking to get fuel to the carb. These come lean from the factory you can search on here on setting the A/F screw. Put the primer bulb between the tank and fuel filter, mounted mine behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, if the primer bulb takes care of that, what about the jets? As in do you think its a jet issue or just the wrong setting for the A/F screw?

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts

Thats mine from when i had a 450. Just reach behind seat and pump it up

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Go to the technical section and the the carb section there is some good reading there on tuning the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So am I seeing this correctly, you put it inline between the tank and the pump right? I will do this last, I am going to check valve lash next so I know the motor is pulling correct vacuum because the thing I am having trouble agreeing with is how this primer would help if the carb is working correctly. I agree the vacuum style pump can lose prime but the carb bowl holds gas so it should crank right up with the help of choke and run long enough to re-prime its own fuel pump. Like shutting the gas valve off while the motor is running and the motor will run several minutes till the carb bowl runs out of gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First I would go back to the stock jets. and 2 1/4 truns out with the clip on the middle. I'll put money on it that you will notice an awesome change in performance. Any time the a/f is that far out the jetting is off.

·
Registered
54 Posts

So am I seeing this correctly, you put it inline between the tank and the pump right? I will do this last, I am going to check valve lash next so I know the motor is pulling correct vacuum because the thing I am having trouble agreeing with is how this primer would help if the carb is working correctly. I agree the vacuum style pump can lose prime but the carb bowl holds gas so it should crank right up with the help of choke and run long enough to re-prime its own fuel pump. Like shutting the gas valve off while the motor is running and the motor will run several minutes till the carb bowl runs out of gas.
Loosing prime over sitting for a couple days is a very common and almost universal issue with the carbed Rhinos. I'd do the primer bulb first, it literally removes all frustrations with cold starting, and saves your battery. I don't even need to choke mine on a dead cold start after sitting for days, weeks or months. Squeeze the primer bulb a few times, and it fires after a few seconds of cranking.

The bowl is on the bottom of the carb. Without prime and fuel in the lines, there is no fuel pressure, and without fuel pressure, its not going to run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts