Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New here, but been lurking for a while now. I posted this in the lighting and electrical section last week, and no replies, so we'll try it here.
My Rhino is an '06 660 used mostly for play and hunting. Right now I have 6 55w PIAA's added as well as an electric fuel pump, 5000lb winch, and stereo, all connected to an aux battery (Optima 34 series yellow top) through a fuse block. Running a Sure Power isolator/separator to keep the stock electrical system isolated, and charge the aux battery as well as possible. The question is.....HO Stator, or Alternator tied to the aux batt only? The stock stator is just not big enough to handle the wattage load, and for the Rhino's intended use, the high power lights are a must have item, and so is the electric fuel pump. Ive read all the threads on the subject, but still cant make up my mind. I know there are some on here who are huge fans of the alternator set up, but we dont have dunes down here in Alabama, and this thing gets run in water 2-4 feet deep at times, and I'm looking for some insight as to how well the alternator set up would work under those conditions. Wet belt, submerged alternator....
Please keep in mind, this isn't a racer, and not built for show. Its mostly a working machine and STAYS either wet, muddy, fully submerged, or a combination of all three.
Thanks for the input.
T

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
I would run the alternator to your aux battery and leave the stock stator alone to charge the stock battery and run all the oem components. The stator will work as it should charging the oem battery while the 60amp alternator will charge the aux battery and you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Subscribed. Also hope you don't mind me piggy backing a question here but I think it may also help benefit the OP as well. Is there a noticable draw on engine output by using an alternator?

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
Average HP drag is .5 hp per 20 amps when under load. So the max HP drag you will see when the alternator is pumping out 60 amps is 1.5 hp

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Alternator hands down. It's a simple install and was prolly one of the best add ons I ever had. I left my stock batt hooked up just like it came from the factory and ran all my acc. to a yellow top Optima batt. (4500lbs winch, 4 35w HIDs, 550watt stereo, and 2 55w lights) with the alternator. I never had batt problems again and never noticed a drop in power from the alt while driving.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks Nick. That finally puy a number to it, and I can't believe it was that low! I currently run the two battery set up, but will look at your kit when I get ready to put in heated seats.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do these alternator kits work on a 700 at all? I know they were put on a few 450's and 660's in the past, is there a kit for the 700's yet? I see a problem arising if I ever get the money to add the accessories to my rhino like I want which includes lights, heater, and moving the winch to a 2nd battery.

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
We had a kit for the 700 but was having a lot of issues with belts and seals on the crank adapter, so after a while with too many issues, we stopped making them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
we love our altenators from utv inc on our 660s they work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts