Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
battery keeps goin dead with the amp off, no lights on or anything. itll go dead, shut off and leave me stranded. the speedo started readin way high. like it says 30 when im doin more like 20 and 78 when im doin 55ish. at times when im not on the gas itll just idle down, backfire real loud and die.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
battery keeps goin dead with the amp off, no lights on or anything. itll go dead, shut off and leave me stranded. the speedo started readin way high. like it says 30 when im doin more like 20 and 78 when im doin 55ish. at times when im not on the gas itll just idle down, backfire real loud and die.
You mentioned that you were going to put in a new battery. Have you done that yet?

Did your digi-dash get set to Km/Hr?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Run it with a multi meter hooked up to the battery set on 20 volt dc and watch to see if your stator is charging. A little research on here and there are graphs to tell you what the voltage should be at. Cruising you should be above 14 volts and less than 15 volts.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the battery is 4 days old and is up to the stock battery specs. i dont have a meter. and how do i set it to mph or kph?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well ive drip charged the battery and even when its at 100% after ridin for awhile it still goes dead. so i was assumin that since the battery is fully charged and i dont have a meter atleast i could still get a few ideas

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you have a manual? There free on here! When it "goes dead" dos it quit and dash stay lit or dash goes dim and then quits? How many volts in battery when you hook up the charger? Plus pull the stereo and all that junk out of it, it's dumb you can't hear it anyway. You could have a voltage draw from it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my amp is wired into the brown plug wire so its only on with the switch and i keep the volume on 0. so its not usin much. it does get pretty loud and its enough for ridin around. but ill take it off. and my charger just has 3 lights on it. charging, bad battery and charged. and yep ive got one somewhere. and the dash will slowly darken till its real dark then it dies.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
well ive drip charged the battery and even when its at 100% after ridin for awhile it still goes dead. so i was assumin that since the battery is fully charged and i dont have a meter atleast i could still get a few ideas
No meter? I'm seconding the comment regarding electrical diagnosis without a meter. Take two wires, attach them to the points that you want to measure voltage at. Then take the other 2 ends of the wires and stick them on your tongue. With practice you will be able to tell if you have sufficient voltage to warrant buying a real meter. 9 volts tastes bad, 12 volts tastes real bad and 18 volts will make you talk funny for a while.....

Seriously though, you have to have a meter to even start diagnosing what is going on. You need to know if your charging system is putting out what it should.

What do you mean by 'drip' charging, I've only heard that with regards to making coffee. How do you know that gives you a full charge?

·
Registered
319 Posts
18 volts will make you talk funny for a while.....
...and you'll do a Michael Jackson imitation * grabbing your crotch and going Whooooaaaaa ! *

Check the easy stuff first... That means EVERY GROUND connection.

First mechanically, and then Yes... With a meter. :)

Short (NPI) of that, start removing connections to the accessories systematically. Guessing you've got a short somewhere....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts