Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for air pressure in the tires for plowing snow?
Tires are 26x9x12 TUSK Trilobites (Bighorn knockoffs)

I had around 10lbs in each all 4 tires but it seemed like it was spinning alot when i was plowing. I dropped the psi to about 5 lbs each now and it doesnt seem much better.

What do you suggest for winter plowing and what do you suggest for summer?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I haven't gotten to plow yet w/ my 'horns (25's)...pretty sure I ran 8 in the front and 10 in the rear w/the oe rubber...year round. I never adjusted for plowing...a lot of the plowing I do, is on gravel, so I always just push the button anyway-to keep from turning up the gravels. I run 10 and 12 w/the horns...seems to work well so far.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How often do you plow in the summer? :)

The general rule of thumb is that for winter traction you want as small a footprint as possible. Which means narrow tires and high pressure. The theory is that you will dig through the snow and ice to the road surface underneath.

However, with an ATV, the pressure has far more to do with it's flex over terrain.

Regardless, I would think that more is better. It will cause the tire to bulge more and create a bit of a peak which, in theory, reduces your overall footprint, which (again in theory) is what you are after.

I'd say run them HARD when you plow. 30-35 lbs. When you go back to playing reduce the pressure back to whatever you run.. 10-15?

I have run my bighorns as low as 5psi, but for all purpose, I keep them at around 15.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.