Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 07 rhino 660 it has two brothers duel exhaust already on it but it was all stock. I spoke with Craig from rutting rhino he reccomended a jet kit for it. So I bought the jet kit and put the 145 pilot with the 170 main and 2 screws out on the air screw. It ran much better but still seemed like it was starving fro air. I removed the air box lid and wow tons more power and it runs perfect. I still need to make sure its not running rich but it feels great.

Question 1 does it hurt to run it with out the airbox lid? Will the filter stay on place? Do I need to fab a bracket to make sure it stays in place

question 2 is whats the best intake set up for these can I get pics of your set up. I have a ton of car turbo pipes and open air filters and such so I was thinking of making my own intake. I just cant justify sepnding 200 on something I can make for 70.

I will be riding in the mud too but I try to avoid deep water. I have considered snorkles as well. So any snorkle advise is welcoe too?

All in all I am very please with the purchase and I cant wait to get it to the woods. Got a caliper hanging up going to fix that next. The next round of m oney goes to harness bar and 5pt harnesses.

I have only been on this site a week and already I have learned so much from this site. So thanks for the great source of info and knowledge.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Craig's intake is awesome. when I dialed mine in it took .43 seconds off my 0-300' time and much more response.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You will get mixed answers on this one. My opinion is that running the box lid is the way to go. We run an aftermarket filter kit by modquad in the box so you get a positive clamp on the filter to ensure a good seal. I also believe that it was starving for air because of to large of a main jet. We don't really see anything larger than a 165 being needed on a built motor that builds mid 40's at the wheels.

I would not recommend running the factory style slip in filter without the box lid as it may not get a good seal and allow for dirt to get past.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the jet to a 167.5 it runs good with that one. I will keep playing with it until I get it dialed in.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you have the stock filter, there is nothing holding the filter in place if you take the lid off! You need a billet filter adapter that bolts inside your stock box, that will allow the use of a clamp on filter in the stock box. Then, yeah, you can run without the lid. You'll also need a little filter for the breather hose. (sometimes included with the billet air filter adapter)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts