Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a K&N air filter to replace the previous owners clogged filter. The K&N wont fit for some reason. Looks like maybe there is an aftermarket adapter/flange that is maybe too thick and not allowing the filter to snap into the plastic tabs at the rear of the filter? I'll post a pic later of the adapter to see if anyone recognizes this as stock or not. Any thoughts would be great.

Also, I've seen the mass discussion of K&N vs foam but they are pretty old posts. Any suggestions on K&N vs oil, no oil, foam, oil no oil?? Mostly dirt riding is what I'm doing.

And has anyone installed the full K&N system that replaces the air box completely? Thought about going this route but wanted some input first. Thanks!!

Rhino 660 04 07 Velocity Intake Kit 4 3HP Includes K N Air Filter Outerwears | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess my biggest question is: Is the K&N filter for the 660's supposed to just slip on to the adapter and lock into the plastic tabs in the housing? The one I ordered does not have room for a hose clamp and is too long to snap into the plastic tabs which makes me think I either got the wrong one or the adapter is interfering.

If it's the adapter, does anyone know where I can get an adapter that works with the K&N filters?

·
Registered
460 Posts
would use a twin air or some other foam filter. i was working on a 450 wolvy that is fairly new and smoking. took stuff apart and it all looked sand blasted and the bore was so ovaled you could see it with just looking at it without the bore gauge. took it to the machine shop and he said he sees this all the time with quads and bikes that use the k and n filters. i had to replace every seal, and have it bored for a bigger piston/rings. hardly worth the one or two hp.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

·
Engineer
8,214 Posts
Agreed, foam is better for trapping fine debris than gauze type such as K&N. It's the vibration that slowly sifts the fine particles in. You can use filter skins to prolong the foam filter life too. Wipe the inside of your air hose past the K&N with a microfiber cloth to see what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
kn's flow because they don't filter! hands down!....UMI filter here in anaheim california,run a two stage and oil them both, clean after every trip and then it wont' start burning oil and then it wont blow up and ruin the cases and then you won't have to buy a new motor and crank and jug and piston and have it all rebuilt!...I have a side yard full of rhino cases ruined because of this scenario my friend...return it!....they suck all right, suck in alot of dirt and sand!...and piston rings like to be clean!

·
Registered
1 Posts
kn's flow because they don't filter! hands down!....UMI filter here in anaheim california,run a two stage and oil them both, clean after every trip and then it wont' start burning oil and then it wont blow up and ruin the cases and then you won't have to buy a new motor and crank and jug and piston and have it all rebuilt!...I have a side yard full of rhino cases ruined because of this scenario my friend...return it!....they suck all right, suck in alot of dirt and sand!...and piston rings like to be clean!
I have a 2006 rhino 660. We just rebuilt the motor. It had a K&N filter on it. I was going to replace it. What do you recommend instead of K&N? The air box is not there and I here that they were restrictive.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts