Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 660 with a mikuni carb, k&n filter with a billet spacer, snorkel kit, billet exaust tip, sheave kit. My question is we went riding this weekend and it started blowing bluish smoke out the exaust. As the day went by it started losing power so I checked the filter and it was full of oil and so was the air box. Also it started running hot. When you start the bike you can watch the blow by coming of the top of the head into the air box. I have an extended warranty. Is my warranty going to cover this and what the hell happened to my rhino.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds like you blew a headgasket or something. I would put as much of it back to stock and take it in after cruising it some more to show some of the signs on the old filter as well, or at least call another dealer to see if you have voided warranty by doing those mods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think its from the aftermarket carb or its something thats happening alot

·
Registered
997 Posts
I THINK IT FROM THE OVERHEAT THAT THIS IS HAPPENING, BUT I AM NOT SURE TO BE HONEST. Just sounds like its running too hot. Might need better octane gas and PWR coolers would be nice along with solving this initial problem.

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
The blue smoke and power loss could be from the oil in the airbox. The blow-by your talking about and overheating sound like something more serious. Blown head gasket or cylinder warpage. Overheating really kind of narrows it to head gasket.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You modified your intake correct? The smoke is a symptom. The oil in the intake is the problem. You probably just need to install a syphon break. It will stop the oil from being sucked out the breather into the intake. I would check your oil level if you rode it for a while. You may not have any left. I would also say that your cylinder head is probably coated with oil and baked on.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
a $40 siphon break will stop that.
I was wondering that...would a siphon break stop that from happening? Or is it a bigger problem?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
being low on oil probably would
Thant's my thought. The oil loss causes secondary issues that are worse. I had oil in my airbox after every ride and checked it and filled it each time. Now I have the antisiphon valve.

My brother lost an engine due to oil issues. He managed to get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
As the RPMs on the Rhino climb for some reason oil begins to flow out of that tube when you have an open air box... when you have a closed airbox lid and the tube is fed into the airbox the oil rarely spills all the way into the closed airbox. I have know more than a few people that totally blew their motors from running all the oil out of the Rhino after running at high RPMs with no air box lid and the oil vent hose just going to their open air box.

The quick and easy solution is the Siphon Break from KMS, its a MUST!!! Just like a CVT Filter is if you want to keep your Rhino running a long time.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
After this last weekend, I am hoping to do nothing but drive my rhino on every piece of sand in the place, With my new plastics that I won from custom motorsports.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts