Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the inexpensive prices of LED technology, you can pick up Light bars with wiring harnesses for around $20. A 4500 pound winch with Rope instead of wire cable adds a little piece of mind to the possibility of getting stuck. I’ve used the winch to drag a couple trees out of the woods, very handy to have. $160. And a couple hours time to get both installed, and lay out the wiring cleanly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the inexpensive prices of LED technology, you can pick up Light bars with wiring harnesses for around $20. A 4500 pound winch with Rope instead of wire cable adds a little piece of mind to the possibility of getting stuck. I’ve used the winch to drag a couple trees out of the woods, very handy to have. $160. And a couple hours time to get both installed, and lay out the wiring cleanly.
I bought a winch from harbor freight recently. Any tips on installation?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on what you have for a front bumper will dictate how you mount it. I added a 3/16” piece of 2”x2” angle iron across the two crossmembers thru bolted with large washers. I drilled two holes in the angle iron, and bolted three bolts to that, to the winch base plate.
The front bumper on my Rhino allowed me to mount two bolts thru the winch plate to the front bumper. This made for an incredibly strong mount. The winch has 4 bolts thru the mounting plate.
You casually want a mount that is absolutely rock solid with no movement. Routing the cables was easy, just lay them out where they can’t rub on anything, and tie wrap them in place. I mounted the winch control switch on the L windshield post, just above the dash. Easy to reach, but out of the way. I can take more pics if needed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depending on what you have for a front bumper will dictate how you mount it. I added a 3/16” piece of 2”x2” angle iron across the two crossmembers thru bolted with large washers. I drilled two holes in the angle iron, and bolted three bolts to that, to the winch base plate.
The front bumper on my Rhino allowed me to mount two bolts thru the winch plate to the front bumper. This made for an incredibly strong mount. The winch has 4 bolts thru the mounting plate.
You casually want a mount that is absolutely rock solid with no movement. Routing the cables was easy, just lay them out where they can’t rub on anything, and tie wrap them in place. I mounted the winch control switch on the L windshield post, just above the dash. Easy to reach, but out of the way. I can take more pics if needed
Pics would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a winch from harbor freight recently. Any tips on installation?
I just installed the 3500 lb Harbor Freight UTV/ATV winch. It does come with a small mounting plate which I didn't use because I was replacing an old winch as used ther plate that was already there. The wiring was a piece of cake, everything is color coded.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s a couple pics as good as I can get with my phone. You should be able to see the angle iron bolted to the cross member and the winch plate mounted to the F bumper. It’s all painted gloss black before I installed it, so it blends in and a little hard to see
7A663EF5-2AC2-47BB-B27D-0FF8B6C8DF67.jpeg
6FD10F34-B7C2-4CA5-8181-0AF0857C2D60.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Dave just stated the wiring is all color coded, and the ends were already crimped on, so I left them at length, coiled them nicely and tie wrapped everything in place firmly.
AF688BB5-D156-4EDD-84C1-3B6E24AC5B51.jpeg
4C31882E-AE56-4B25-90C9-02ABFB02FAB8.jpeg
C921F0E9-57D6-4829-83CD-C02770A53967.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts