Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but not new to the Yamaha Viking/rhino/grizzly, but need some help. A month ago I pulled my ‘15 Viking VI out of the garage in cold weather. Started fine but when I backed it out of the garage, I shifted from R to L and that was it. Engine was making a louder noise than normal and the shifter was completely stuck in L. I turned it off for a few minutes and everything was fine and drove it back int he garage and parked it.

Two weeks later, fired it up and drove around the neighborhood and was fine. Parked it thinking it was probably OK.

This weekend, fired it up, backed out of the garage and now have this strange cyclical noise related to rpm. It’s the secondary higher frequency noise in the video linked below. Not present at idle, but when I rev the engine a little, it can easily be heard. Pulled it back into the garage and it was making a continuous loud noise until I parked it and turned it off. I started it back up and then no noise! Strangely, it’s intermittent.

Take a listen from the link below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first problem in the three vehicles with the 700 efi and I’m not sure what it is. I’m a decent wrench and can probably fix it if pointed in the right direction, unless it’s a total overhaul. Totally stock except JBS clutch sheave/slug kit/spring.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Interesting, did you solve this issue? Fluids, everything OK? Any codes? I'll watch this thread, curious what the issue is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally forgot to close this out. Two screws that hold the stopper plate to the back of the clutch sheave (this encloses the slide and the rollers/weights) had backed out enough to contact the inside of shaft bearing housing...the big cast aluminum piece that surrounds the sheave ass’y. The contact noise is what i heard. The drag or stuck was the contact of screwhead to alum until the head broke off...then it temporarily freed up. Other noises were screwheads bouncing around inside the sheave area.

Replaced the stopper plate and a couple screws and was good to go for under $50 and a morning of labor. Lots of trouble free miles since.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top