Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Loving my new 814 shocks.
I like the limit strap idea....I recently broke a steering rod heim and the failure look to be from the a-arm dropping too far. Is the bottom of your strap attached to the bottom shock bolt?

Also.....isn't your shock upside down? Normally the can part of the shock is up top and the rod part is down near the wheel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The limit strap bolts to the shock bolts. The shocks cannot be mounted upside down as it doesn't matter which way you mount it. I mounted mine this way because the back shocks could not be mounted with the can on top due to clearance issues. I wanted to mount them with the can on top due to the adjustment knobs which would have made it easier to adjust the shocks.

·
Registered
2006 rhino 660 camo.
29 Posts
Any pics of how the rears are installed and what you did to install them?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any pics of how the rears are installed and what you did to install them?
The shocks just bolted right up. The only thing I recall is grinding the front lower shock bolts down a bit as the tie rod end would hit on a hard turn. Other than that,nothing else.

·
Registered
2006 rhino 660 camo.
29 Posts
Ok. Haven’t messed with the fronts yet but i think they will be fine. Issue i am having is the rears. The shock body hits the axle shaft like it is too big. I had the parts confirmed that the numbers are correct. So i flipped them upside down and the spring hits the control arm and the spring hat rides against the axle shaft. Trying to see a good pic of the shock attatched at the lower control arm to figure out what i may be doing wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just noticed that you have a 2006 660 Rhino. Mine was a 2008 700 and mine was the first Rhino that he did with the 814 shocks. As we fit them I recall my bolts being close to the axles but they did not hit and the shock was mounted as the fronts were because I could not flip them due to clearance issues.

·
Registered
2006 rhino 660 camo.
29 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the picture. I think i see the difference. My stock shocks barely clear the axle shaft and 814 have larger bodies. 700 were redesigned for rear brake calipers at the wheels. Knuckle is different and possibly control arms also. Ill do some research. Thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the picture. I think i see the difference. My stock shocks barely clear the axle shaft and 814 have larger bodies. 700 were redesigned for rear brake calipers at the wheels. Knuckle is different and possibly control arms also. Ill do some research. Thank you.
Best of luck to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts