Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a run in the desert last night to relieve some stress. Having a blast and praising my machine. As I'm heading home I wicked it up a little, just glanced over at the speedo 75mph and KABOOM the belt exploded! Scared the hell out of me at that speed. Towed home, the helix was swallowed belt fibers.

Looking and running strong

Tow strap " walk of shame"

The after effect!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Huh I have had good luck with stock and the Dayco Extreme Torque Belt XTX 2236. If it was older and worn they will come apart. I had a used highlifter belt on that just shredded and blew chuncks out the cvt exhaust.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Good thing you didn't wad it up. I'm sure the rear wheels locked up a bit lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gates has a new belt out that STM swears by and it's under $100 haven't installed mine yet just some info. to save you some money.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
I use only BRP belts ... do whatever you can to cool the belt ...cooler the better .....heat kills

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
How long are you guys getting out of a belt? Im wanting to do the swap just dont want this to hinder my choice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had about 1k miles on my Rhino when I sold it and the belt looked like new. Commander/Rotax engines are a whole different animal that like to eat belts due to the extreme heat and power it makes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have never broke a belt, I usually change them every dune season if I need it or not as maintence

·
Registered
235 Posts
Before my SV swap, My built rhino motor snapped belts all the time. Heat kills. I ran mine without the cover and this seemed to help the most. FYI I run my car at the dunes and after a hard run I can put my bear hand on the chain. No more belt probs.

·
Site Founder
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotta say, I don't miss belt issues AT ALL - my 530 chain rocks! :)

But do you miss reverse and being able to rock crawl? :bike4:

I had a whole season of racing and testing on one BRP belt. Replaced it just because. Looked perfect!
Brian I will call you in a few weeks to get that tuning done. I need to get my STM Rage 8 set up before I tune.

Did you get your rig running again?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes they sit closer to the motor, there are no springes to compress on theses. I'm going to mount my aluminum tank in the pass floorboard until I get the clutch dialed in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You planning on more power in the future? Rage 6 will handle a turbo, why do you choose the 8?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts