Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek2:I have a 08 700 rhino that I bought from a friend that passed away this year. He bought it new and uit came from the factory with a crack in the crankcase. His sister took it back to the dealer and they told her it was from him jumping it. That can't be true due to where the crack is located and plus he wasn't the type to jump it. Anyway I bought it "as is" and this winter I plan on fixxing it myself because I just can't stand a leak. I already have the case but I want to get a little more HP out of it when I put it back together. I am thinking 11:1 piston with a stage 2 cam and I want to go with the gibson exhaust due to it not being loud like the rest of the aftermarkets exhaust. It has 1450 miles on it and was wondering if I should also change the crank, thinking about the hotrods crank but not sure. There are no problems with it now, other than the leak, but figured while I had it down I would get it where I want it. I do alot of mud and trail riding and wanted to know if this is a good set up. I already have a wiseco tfi on it. Any advise is appriciated.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Im intetested in the cracked cases if you want to sell them. As far as running a hot rods crank the answer is no unless you are willing to change the rod. The hot rods stroker crank is a "drop in" and they accomplish this by using a short rod which is very thin on the big end for clearance between the case and rod. This rod will fail and when it does it will take out your cases, cylinder and head. The stage 2 cam will require proper mapping at all throttle positions not just full throttle. If your programmer is capable of adding or removing fuel at all rpm and throttle positions then its a great cam choice. If not, go with a stage 1 cam as it is much easier to tune with a more basic programmer. Big bore or high compression piston kits do help but be sure both the head and cylinder are surfaced properly or blown head gaskets will be haunting you. Happy to help in any way if you need answers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I read that on another post after i posted this one about was the cam. How about using the old crank if not worn.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would stick with the yamaha crank. If you want power put the money into the cylinder head, cam, piston, and finally throttlebody. Are you selling the cracked cases?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I would take superchkn's advice as he has been around the block more than twice in his rhino... :lol:

The factory crank is the best one to have... IMO... the Carrillo Rod is the best one to have... factory stroke...

And superchkn has the head for you to hop it up...!

Unless he already sold it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I will sell them. The one that I bought the half I dont need had a bearing go bad right under the starter on the driver side the one that I have is cracked under the middle drive gear on the passenger side. It may be a month or so before I take it down. I want to be able to do it all in a couple of days if possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What should be done to the head? I forgot to mention I was going to spend the money for the aftermarket head and cylinder studs. I have seen that go on a 660 that he put high compression piston and ported the head. Do you have any feed back on the exhaust?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Alot of exhaust systems out there. Best choice by far is muzzys. That gibson will fall apart and makes no power. Trust me i worked for ron gibson for years (sorry ron you rich bastard lol). As far as the cylinder head goes it depends how much power your looking to make. I prefer Racers Edge on the 700 motor. I just listed a full blown race head in the parts section check it out. From my research porting the 700 cylinder head without oversized valves shows little to no gains so dont waste your money there. None of it is any good without a ruttingrhino windshield :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the muzzy loud? As far as the power I dont want it bogging down once I'm in a hole and its locked in. I seen that on all the stock rhino's and the tyrex. It has helped that I put the tfi on it but it's not quite where I want but don't think its far off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 09 700 with a mod sheave,MSD ignition,HotCam Rhino stage II,Alba full exhaust & just put in a 11-1 piston.All these things combined are a big,seat of the pants,inprovement!Enjoy "Souping" yours up!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Is the muzzy loud? As far as the power I dont want it bogging down once I'm in a hole and its locked in. I seen that on all the stock rhino's and the tyrex. It has helped that I put the tfi on it but it's not quite where I want but don't think its far off.
The Muzzy's are the best looking and best sounding IMO...

The Alba is the most bang for the buck...good power, good fit, good quality, great price, no maintenance...some say it sounds good...I think they are loud as hell...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey Rutting-Are you talking about the Alba with the Flowmaster HushPower?I put this on about 5 months ago & doesnt seem bad at all for the power it makes.Only WOT is when it starts barkin pretty good!But all the other ones I have heard at WOT are barkin also!I like it & it installed easier than the stock one came off!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Muzzy dual exhaust is hands down the best exhaust..also they are pretty quite and if you want it quiter you can do the quite cores. Also on the motor if you are looking for more torque, I would do a 734 with stage 2 cam, dual muzzy, hot rod sheave, man there is so many options..it never ends

1 - 14 of 14 Posts