Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok there are a bunch of different people that make 686 kits for Rhinos, if you had to recommend someone to a 686 builder how would you answer the following questions?

Are engines reliable after the 686 kit?

Are they really fast?

Do they have to use Race Gas?

Is the Customer service good?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I cant answer your questions nor do I have any personal experience with the 686 kits.... but I have heard and read on numerous forums that Ryan Woon has the best 686 kits .....

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think Ryan is using/selling the DFR kit.....and it's NOT cheap! Ive talked to some people with the KMS kit and they were happy. And as Im sure you know, kelly has great service!

·
Site Founder
7,894 Posts
The one Ryan is selling hauls ass and eats head gaskets. In fact, he's raced many big displacement rhinos and beat them all. Once they get the HG issue resolved, that will be a big contender in the big CC rhino game........ I'm sticking to bolt on's myself! I'd rather go slow all weekend, than haul ass and have down time...........

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The one Ryan is selling hauls ass and eats head gaskets. In fact, he's raced many big displacement rhinos and beat them all. Once they get the HG issue resolved, that will be a big contender in the big CC rhino game........ I'm sticking to bolt on's myself! I'd rather go slow all weekend, than haul ass and have down time...........
I agree with you 100% .....

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ryan doesn't use the DFR kit. I can tell you from personal expirence, that the only rhino that has beat his car that i have seen, is a car that was running paddles and the PDM clutch, but had the same 686 kit from the same builder.

He smoked my car when it was a just a 686 kit too. His 686 kits run 43 hp to the rear wheels. Dyno proven. Now that the head gasket issue is figured out, they are very reliable. We have been beating on our cars a lot in the dunes lately, with no more issues. But he has gone through a few clutch sheaves, and shreaded about 4 belts. But he drives either floored, or stopped.

It is a big difference from stock. My 686 kit wasn't much different from stock, but i found out that i was having clutch issues too. But now with the PDM clutch, turbo, paddles, and 686 kit, he can't keep up. I have about 6 rhino lenghts on him by the end of the drags at gecko.. running 55 on the dash. On the street his goes 60 mph on dash with 25 tires.. i was hitting 64 mph with 26 bighorns, and bouncing off the rev-limiter (clutch isn't completely dialed yet).

So.. the 686 kit from WOTM is well worth the money. i would go that route knowing what i know now, and saved a bunch of money. (but the turbo is cool;)

I would highly recommend going through him.

Race gas isn't required if you go with the 10.7:1 piston set up. You can go higher compression, but you will have to run race gas. (ryans is 10.7:1)

Customer service is great. I actually called up his engine builder at 4pm tuesday night with a head that had toasted valves, asked if they could do a valve job, install oversized valves, and instal dual springs, and he said bring it down, we can do it for you now. So I drove to tucson, they machined the head, and i was rolling home by 8:30pm, with a head ready to go back on... now thats what i call service. He had his head machinist guy stay late for me to get me rolling that night. Its good to have great service, and know they will stand behind thier work. They know they have a good product, so it makes it easy.

I have been runing mine with 10lbs of boost, and no head gasket issues anymore.

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
I drove Ryan's and it does kick butt. I was under the impression he got the gasket thing squared away. I know he's been to the dunes several times now without issue. I'm keeping an eye on this one even though I can't afford to do this mod. It will be the winner if it stays reliable now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told that ryan woon had the head gasket issue fixed now. It requires larger head bolts and an o-ringed cylinder with copper gasket. That is what has been told to me

·
Site Founder
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
i hope it is reliable because we have his 686 being shipped back to us this week. I should of already had it but that is how it goes

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
the head gasket issues are solved. i am running the fix with 10psi of boost and no issues with a 10.7:1 piston. Ryans first attempt at the fix didn't last, but it was due to the o-ring being too short, so all the pressure just blew through the gap, and blew in 2 minutes. So it was the builders error, and he fixed it, free of charge, and all labor.

SO yeah.. you gotta do the copper headgasket, (special process to install) machined o-ring groove in cylinder, and larger diameter head studs installed instead of the 10mm bolts.

We have had about 4 trips to the dunes on them, and they are working flawlessly so far, and we ran up and down gecko road (in the sand) a few times wide open the whole way, so we aren't babying them at all.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anyone can do or get a 686 kit. No big deal there. Power can be gain over and beyond this kit depending on the piston used, cam, valves and springs, porting, exhaust, carb work. They all add up. If his Rhino is the one to beat with this kit, then most of the power difference come directly from the head work.

I can't wait to get start on the 686 after the last dune trip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have done quite a few 686 kits and they have proven themselves over and over again. The HRT flying banana rhino has our 686 kit and has been dominating the short course racing. Even though the motor is not the only reason why Todd wins.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yup! I have a high compression 686. Only problem I had was blowing a headgasket. Temp gauge, and PWR coolers, or dual stock coolers, and problem solved, cuz you can monitor your temp situation. Since the PWR, I have been beating mine up, accidentally low on coolant from fan ground disconnecting for a long ride, and pissing coolant, still kicks ass! I also have a ported head, cam, valve springs, coil, ACI exhaust, ACI coil, Dynatek products, etc, etc, and it feels so friggin good now, so I guess moral of my story, should be a well reputable biz that does it, and unless you have money to dunp, like $6000 to do the whole motor sick, or about that to repeatedly fix things.... So either go big on it without stroker, or don't touch it. Halfway isn't all the way! I learned that. I'd leave it stock if I could go back (actually I wouldn't), but my next rhino will have a stock motor with bolt ons, and a super light cage design, but 4 seater. I'll run the 10 wheels and skatracks for Glamis! Should rip enuff, but be reliable! BUT IT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CLEARING SOME OF THE BIG JUMPS WE DO!!!! LOL

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
We have done quite a few 686 kits and they have proven themselves over and over again. The HRT flying banana rhino has our 686 kit and has been dominating the short course racing. Even though the motor is not the only reason why Todd wins.
Hey since your here ACI, can you tell us the reasoning for stopping making the hushpower 2 setup? If there is a performance difference then how much was the difference? Was the issue the flexible connection to the header?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey since your here ACI, can you tell us the reasoning for stopping making the hushpower 2 setup? If there is a performance difference then how much was the difference? Was the issue the flexible connection to the header?

We always reccomended the exhaust as the last performance upgrade. Our lectron kit, clutching..e.t.c made a better performance increase first then after you had those items we would reccomend the exhaust. Our exhuast we made to focus more on the torque than the HP.

It is easy to make a high flowing exhaust and put it on the dyno and make a large HP number but in real time driving and for how heavy the rhinos are they need the torque to get there.

We stopped making the exhaust for a two reasons... 1st we hand made every exhaust that we sold from top grade stainless and for the price we had into the exhaust we werent making enough money on them. 2nd the guy that was working here making them got tired of making them so we decided to just stop selling that product.

The issues we had with the flex couplers were caused by our supplier. We normally had a dual layer flex coupler that they sent us but for some reason on one of the orders they sent us only the single layer flex couplers. We received about 20 couplers at a time and we did not catch it when they arrived. So we proceeded to make the exhausts and those 20 exhausts that were sold ended up burning out the couplers. So we had to eat the cost and have all our customers send us their exhaust in to be repaired with the dual layer coupler. Which made us loose money on all those 20 exhausts..... Which sucked but oh well. You have to stand behind what you sell!

With the other bolt on performance products the exhaust would add about 3-5 hp. But also a noticable improvement in torque

1 - 17 of 17 Posts