Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change on my 05 rhino 660 the other day and now it smokes badly. I put 10W-40 yamalube in it, a new oil filter, as well as replace the air filter and now it pours smoke out the exhaust. I had originally put 2.3 quarts of oil in it since the recommended 2.1 didn't even show up on the dipstick, I noticed the oil looking overly frothy so I went ahead and drained the oil and replaced again to see if maybe I had bad oil. Put exactly 2.1 quarts in it this time and it is still smoking every time you fire it up and put it in gear to get going. The air filter was sprayed with a light layer of foam air filter spray. Any thoughts or idea of far as what's going on? Never thought I would have issues after doing simple maintenance

· Registered
256 Posts
Did my first oil change on my 05 rhino 660 the other day and now it smokes badly. I put 10W-40 yamalube in it, a new oil filter, as well as replace the air filter and now it pours smoke out the exhaust. I had originally put 2.3 quarts of oil in it since the recommended 2.1 didn't even show up on the dipstick, I noticed the oil looking overly frothy so I went ahead and drained the oil and replaced again to see if maybe I had bad oil. Put exactly 2.1 quarts in it this time and it is still smoking every time you fire it up and put it in gear to get going. The air filter was sprayed with a light layer of foam air filter spray. Any thoughts or idea of far as what's going on? Never thought I would have issues after doing simple maintenance
what brand oil was in it before your first change? regular, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic? Is the smoke, white, blue, or black? What color is the oil when it is frothy?

Also overfilling can causing foaming(frothy) oil

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sticker said it had rotella 15W40 conventional in it. I'm thinking the dipstick is just screwy on this thing, I took more oil out and it is still showing up on the fill line even though I had measured out exactly 2.1 quarts which is what it called for. After taking more oil out and the level being right in the middle of the range, it is smoking less. It Just smokes right when you start it up cold and put it in gear for the first minute or so. Once I do a couple of laps around my yard the smoking seems to basically go away. Smoke is white. The machine seems to run fine other than this, never smoked before doing the oil change.

· Registered
256 Posts
I've never had good luck mixing conventional and synthetic oil. White smoke is most of the time caused by water but I have seen white smoke in older vehicles when changing to synthetic. Water in the oil can also cause frothy oil. You may have a head gasket going bad. You need to check it. The fact that you keep gaining fluid volume in crankcase also makes me think that you may be getting water in your oil.

Does your oil look like it has water in it or does your radiator fluid look like it has oil in it?

Take the cap off of your radiator while its cool, crank and run your Rhino. Have someone rev the engine once it gets warm while you watch the water flowing in your radiator. If it has air bubbles. you have a head gasket leak.

If none of the above is true, try putting a couple of ounces of SeaFoam in your oil, running it for an hour or 2 and then changing oil and filter while still warm. This should flush everything out of your crankcase. If you are still getting white smoke I think you have a head gasket leak. I always put SeaFoam in my oil shortly before changing it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check it out. The radiator looked full when I checked it the other day and the antifreeze didn't look like it had oil in it or anything.

· Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check it out. The radiator looked full when I checked it the other day and the antifreeze didn't look like it had oil in it or anything.
I know when I switched to synthetic oil in my 07 truck with 300,000 miles it blew white smoke like crazy. I thought I had blown a head gasket. I did a quick google search and found that Valvoline synthetic caused a lot of high mileage vehicles to blow white smoke. So I ran SeaFoam in the oil at 1 ounce per quart of oil. Ran it for 20-30 minutes and changed oil and filter and the smoke stopped. Hope that does it for you. I add SeaFoam to all of my engines before changing the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts