Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha rhino 660 it will run for 20 seconds then cut out,(this has got progressively worse over a couple of months), not like its starved of fuel, just like it’s getting switched off, wait 10seconds and it’ll go for another ten seconds, also it blows the carb off the boot when pulling away I was thinking timing but I don’t know where the timing is on these, I have cleaned the carb, changed oil, changed coolant, changed cdi to a .50calibre racing cdi, Amr coil, fuel pump, and I’ve ordered a stator. thought I’d get some people’s opinions as it’s been very frustrating 🤣 thanks In Advance👍

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Whens the last time u changed the fuel filter and hows tge air filter look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
I assume you checked/replaced spark plug? All the above could be players. How long have you had this machine? When did it start acting up? After a long sit?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another thing to throw out there, how is your fuel supply? Fuel pump providing enough fuel to the carb? Fuel filter clean? Carb clean and float level accurate? Worth checking.

Edit: Sorry, reread the initial post and realized you've already done most of what I suggested. The carb shouldn't blow off the boot if you have a hose clamp on it. In the old days, retarded ignition timing would cause backfiring through the carb, but you can't adjust that on the 660. If you are getting a backfire through the carb that is blowing the boot off, your cam timing has to be off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing to throw out there, how is your fuel supply? Fuel pump providing enough fuel to the carb? Fuel filter clean? Carb clean and float level accurate? Worth checking.

Edit: Sorry, reread the initial post and realized you've already done most of what I suggested. The carb shouldn't blow off the boot if you have a hose clamp on it. In the old days, retarded ignition timing would cause backfiring through the carb, but you can't adjust that on the 660. If you are getting a backfire through the carb that is blowing the boot off, your cam timing has to be off.
This is what I thought the cam timing, because it’s like it’s firing half way down the bore,how would I do this, by getting to top dead center and then adjusting the cam, I’m no mechanic but I have a mechanic that will help me thanks mate👍

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have a rhino shop manual? It will tell you the process for checking the cam timing. There are also threads on here that explain the process. You do have to take off the fan cover on the passenger side of the motor to access the rubber plug so you can see the timing mark. A mechanic's mirror will make it much easier to see the mark. You also have to take off the rocker cover on the cylinder head to check the timing. I wish Yamaha would have put in some more rubber plugs or something so you didn't have to take off as much stuff just to check the cam timing. Also make sure you are using the correct timing mark on the flywheel. The first mark will be like a stretched out "H". That is the wrong mark. The correct mark is an "I".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a rhino shop manual? It will tell you the process for checking the cam timing. There are also threads on here that explain the process. You do have to take off the fan cover on the passenger side of the motor to access the rubber plug so you can see the timing mark. A mechanic's mirror will make it much easier to see the mark. You also have to take off the rocker cover on the cylinder head to check the timing. I wish Yamaha would have put in some more rubber plugs or something so you didn't have to take off as much stuff just to check the cam timing. Also make sure you are using the correct timing mark on the flywheel. The first mark will be like a stretched out "H". That is the wrong mark. The correct mark is an "I".
Thanks very much for your help mate, so pleased I’ve finally got something that makes sense to go off of thanks for your time👍👍👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts