Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 660 Rhino. Most times the starter engages and starts the engine normally. Occasionally the starter motor will stall. I think it engages because I can hear some sounds. But the engine doesn't turn over. The starter stalls. I let off the key and try again. Sometimes it will go on the second or third try. But sometimes it still stalls. During all this, I think my battery is OK. I really think the problem is in the starter motor. Could there some kind of compression release that fails to open? I recalled from the Car Talk radio show that Click and Clack described how a faulty starter motor can sometimes be made to run by tapping on the casing. So I tried that with an 18" ratchet extension. To my surprise, there was a small spark at the end of the extension, and the starter motor turned, engaged and started the engine! So, What Is Going ON?? Is the compression a red herring? Or is the spark a red herring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you saw a spark when you tapped the starter and the engine started you probably somehow completed the starter circuit, which made the starter turn over.

If you're sure your battery is good, then your problem is either the starter or the wiring to the starter. I would check the cable connections at the battery and at the starter, make sure they're clean and tight. Check the cable routing and make sure the cable insulation hasn't worn through anywhere. You can also check the voltage at the starter when it's not working. If it's getting full voltage, then the starter itself is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racedave's reply set me thinking. If I completed a circuit by touching the starter to ground, the fault might be in the ground side of the wires. So I searched for a ground wire on the engine block. I could not find one. I did find the ground wire that comes directly from the battery but it connects to the frame. Do you suppose Yamaha is depending on the engine mounts or some other structural part to make the ground? So, I made up a new ground wire. I fastened it directly to the end of the battery ground lead and directly to the engine block. Now the starter responds strongly every time. I think I will call this problem solved. Thanks Racerdave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts