Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the carb and cleaned it up, it has been sitting for a couple months. Figured cleaning it would cure the problem but no luck. I idles fine when the choke is pulled but once i start to push the choke in it starts to miss and dies. Pulled the fuel line of the carb and cranked the motor and got fuel coming out, so fuel is good. I got a Big Gun slip-on and pro design intake. I looked at the jets for the first time since the dealer jetted it for me and i saw a 155 main and 45 pilot....if that helps.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I pulled the carb and cleaned it up, it has been sitting for a couple months. Figured cleaning it would cure the problem but no luck. I idles fine when the choke is pulled but once i start to push the choke in it starts to miss and dies. Pulled the fuel line of the carb and cranked the motor and got fuel coming out, so fuel is good. I got a Big Gun slip-on and pro design intake. I looked at the jets for the first time since the dealer jetted it for me and i saw a 155 main and 45 pilot....if that helps.
It's time to clean the carb again and pay aattention to the pilot jet............

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
yup pilot tiny lil piece of sumthing prolly stuck in it ,

pulling choke out to keep it running means its not getting enough fuel to idle, its lean , pilot ,

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
no need to soak - just pull pilot stick something thru it poke it clean , make sure bowl is clean , also make sure there is no crack in the boot to head from carb not sure if it matters

·
Registered
615 Posts
guess ill clean it again. This time ill soak it in fuel for a little, thanks again
Methanol works great and use a wire inside the jet from a speaker wire strand...............

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
also when they dont start from sitting for a few weeks or months a squirt of starting fluid in there as ur cranking fires them right up , theres a lil tube from carb to intake hose' u can spray thru that hole on intake tube

·
Registered
292 Posts
also when they dont start from sitting for a few weeks or months a squirt of starting fluid in there as ur cranking fires them right up , theres a lil tube from carb to intake hose' u can spray thru that hole on intake tube
I would be careful doing this i tried it on mine and it backfired through the carb and melted my carb slide and air filter

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I would be careful doing this i tried it on mine and it backfired through the carb and melted my carb slide and air filter

squirt squirt go easy dont hold the nozzle down , :fingersx:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The problem is in the idle circut. remove the idle mixture screw and clean there ,with the the added ethanol in todays fuel you willl have to clean the carb . The ethenol leaves a shitty residue behind. most carb cleaner wont work . Remove the carb and wash it out with spray nine for the residue and then use a carb cleaner for getting the moisture out. For engins that sit alot use a fuel stabilizer and or ad a fuel injector cleaner to the gas at every fill . This will keep things clean and stop floats from sticking.

·
Registered
615 Posts
with the the added ethanol in todays fuel you willl have to clean the carb . The ethenol leaves a shitty residue behind. most carb cleaner wont work . Remove the carb and wash it out with spray nine for the residue and then use a carb cleaner for getting the moisture out. For engins that sit alot use a fuel stabilizer and or ad a fuel injector cleaner to the gas at every fill . This will keep things clean and stop floats from sticking.
Really ethanol doesnt leave any residue, the problem arises when the fuel system is already dirty, the ethanol cleans the system bringing all the residue up from the tank and fuel lines, ethanol or methanol can be used to clean gasoline varnish deposits. Also ethanol and methanol mixes with water very easily, this can also cause problems..............

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You really can't go wrong with a 45 pilot jet...

Set the idle a/f screw at 2.0 turns out...

The 155 might be the correct main jet...that would depend on your intake/exhaust/elevation/temperature...

If it will idle with choke on...but not idle with choke off odds are there is not enough fuel in the float bowl to sustain idle...

If you get our premium fuel delivery kit for the stock pump it also give you what you need to figure out if it's your pump, the float, or the float setting...or some other problem in the carb...

How many times/miles did you drive it after they jetted your carb...???

·
Registered
50 Posts
The ethanol mixes with the contaminents in the fuel like the moisture to cause the build up and corrosion is what I ment. With the ethanol in the fuel it shure dont stay fresh as long as it use to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay i got it to idle now, i pulled all three jets again and ran a piece of wire thru them. The problem now is it runs fine until about half throttle then it starts to sputter out and not rev.....:aargh4: any ideas what the problem is now? Ruting rhino said adjust the A/F screw out 2 turns.....wheres that? This thing ran fine at the end of last season......

·
Registered
50 Posts
the idle mixture screw is next to the 2 wires that conect to the carb on the bottom front. This screw controlls idle mixture and just off idle throttle. Check the diafram on the top of the carb and check the needle isnt dirty and the slide is free.

·
Registered
615 Posts
okay i got it to idle now, i pulled all three jets again and ran a piece of wire thru them. The problem now is it runs fine until about half throttle then it starts to sputter out and not rev.....:aargh4: any ideas what the problem is now? Ruting rhino said adjust the A/F screw out 2 turns.....wheres that? This thing ran fine at the end of last season......
If it ran great as of last time you ran it and everything is still the same, no mods, then your problem is still dirt in the carbs, or you changed some jetting in the process of cleaning the carbs, such as maybe the needles.............or you have a vacuum leak, much this would be more problematic at idle............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts