Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a totalled 660 grizzly for cheap. The engine runs great. Does anyone know if the engine for the 660 grizzly and the 660 rhino are the same?

I would like to build the grizzly engine for my rhino and just swap them out over the winter?

Anybody have any ideas? Im going to look at the grizzly in the morning.....

Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
There are some definite differences...

However...it is a good thing to do IMO...

Lots of people have bought grizzlies to can the motors from for rhinos with grenaded motors...

I think one thing that is different is the middle gear...not sure...and you can always get a rhino gear for it you want...

I think AZCourt actually put a grizzly middle gear in a 693 he just sold to The One ... it was intended for desert racing and I believe the grizzly has taller gearing internally...which is not all bad in a rhino imo...and you can compensate that with a machined sheave to lower the gearing from a stop...

I could be mistake about the gearing but I do know it is a cheap way to go...

No reason NOT to do it...

There are built motors for sale too...

The one thing you don't want to do is wait until you have a grenaded motor to work with...if you do it the way you are talking about then you can sell your motor or better yet have a spare...you cannot have too many 660s laying around when you own a rhino...lol...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well on my stock 660 rhino engine I have a dynatek box and high output coil. I also have the UTV Crap/INC baller hauler kit with the machined sheve. I plan on using all of these items on the build motor........just dont know where to start........hoping to get some help from this site.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I would built a crank up benchmark 693 with ported head and +1 valves if it were me...

Come to think of it...

Chris advertised one brand new for sale the other day...not completed so you can order it the way you want...

You might check that out...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The middle gear is a taller gear
The through shaft is soild on the rhino and hollow on the grizzly
Oil lines need swap
Intake manfold also has too be chaged to rhino one

I think thats it might have forgot some thing

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
grizzlys motor

Just to inform you members on what I've found to be the differences from a grizzly 660 to a rhino 660 engine...Having owned both and have currently pulled them apart to compare them. To dispell the myth that they are exactly the same, here ya go..

1 different transmission gear set,rhino has lower gears in the transmission cluster
2 the middle drive gear shaft(middle driven)shaft on the grizzly is hollow for some reason,where a rhino middle driven shaft is solid
3 the oil filter adapter on a rhino has a locating pin boss casted into the case half to properly aline the adapter and hold it in place,grizzlys don't have this boss as they don't run an oil cooler from my knowledge.
4 the grizzly I tore apart had a smaller tapered through shaft through the motor, alot smaller in diameter than a rhino through shaft(don't know if later grizzlys went to a larger diameter shaft?)
5 the output yokes need to be swapped to a rhino and so does the intake manifold for the vacuum port.

so...those are the major differences, a higher gear ratio and smaller lighter duty through shaft and middle drive gear shafts....so if you think that a rhino transmission and middle drive gear assembly is weak, the decision is yours if u want to risk the smaller grizzly gearset and drive in a heavier vehichle(like a rhino) just an informative observation based on facts...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just to inform you members on what I've found to be the differences from a grizzly 660 to a rhino 660 engine...Having owned both and have currently pulled them apart to compare them. To dispell the myth that they are exactly the same, here ya go..

1 different transmission gear set,rhino has lower gears in the transmission cluster
2 the middle drive gear shaft(middle driven)shaft on the grizzly is hollow for some reason,where a rhino middle driven shaft is solid and stronger
3 the oil filter adapter on a rhino has a locating pin boss casted into the case half to properly aline the adapter and hold it in place,grizzlys don't have this boss as they don't run an oil cooler from my knowledge.
4 the grizzly I tore apart had a smaller tapered through shaft through the motor, alot smaller in diameter than a rhino through shaft(don't know if later grizzlys went to a larger diameter shaft?)

so...those are the major differences, a higher gear ratio and smaller lighter duty through shaft and middle drive gear shafts....so if you think that a rhino transmission and middle drive gear assembly is weak, the decision is yours if u want to risk the smaller grizzly gearset and drive in a heavier vehichle(like a rhino) just an informative observation based on facts...
In many cases a hollow shaft is stronger than a solid one. Gun drilled axles is just one example. I have never tested the Grizzly and Rhino shafts to conclude one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
hollow middle gear shaft

Id trust the yamaha engineers on their decision to run the solid shaft if it was my motor, I think the grizzly gears with the rhino mid.gear shaft would be a better route....I agree on the gun drilling, but depends on the application..

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm running a grizzly motor in mine. I knew there were some gear differences, just didn't know what the specifics were. The previous post is correct about the oil cooler. Grizzly doesn't run one. The front and back axle connections are also different. The intake piece was slightly different. But all those parts are easily changed when swapping the motor. Takes maybe 1/2 hour more. I have a post on here that has pics of all the differences in parts.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
found some more info today the hard way

2 the middle drive gear shaft(middle driven)shaft on the grizzly is hollow for some reason,where a rhino middle driven shaft is solid
5 the output yokes need to be swapped to a rhino and so does the intake manifold for the vacuum port.
6. you have to bore the id of the middle drive gear boss in the case to clear the rhino gear if using in a grizzly case
7. the 02-04 grizzlys run a shorter shift fork shaft than the rhino,as the boss's are shallower on the grizzly for the shorter shiftshaft..
8. also the grizzly has some kind of lever that is inside the motor that works off of the shift drum, will do some homework on what it does, but the rhino engine doesn't have that lever or its extra parts.
9. you have to pull off the pull starter set up to use the motor in a rhino on the earlier grizzly motors too...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have a grizzly motor in mine. Didn't break any of those different parts you found to be different(weaker). Powering a long travel+4seat Rhino. Bored and stroked engine.

I didn't orginally build my engine, so I can't say for sure if any of my parts had been upgraded.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

after spending the last two days assembling it and machining the cases etc and welding up the cases, i would definately stick with the internals of a rhino shortblock for a stroker or high horsepower motor to play it safe over the grizzly guts....my two cents...cameron.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts