Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

660 downhill, engine brake stops, free wheels, stalls when reingages

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  edrrt 
#1 ·
So my 660 has difficulty shifting between gears, shift linkage feels loose, has been getting worse. Going to check the linkage. I think it's unrelated but when going down hill the engine braking sometimes stops causing the machine to free wheel as if in neutral, the engine idles and brakes need to be applied like it's in neutral until the bottom of the hill. Then at the bottom when stepping on the gas the tranny goes clunk and it stalls. It may be when I step on the gas, or when the RPM falls to the point it should go into gear on it's own. When I restart it's in gear.

I read here about gas not being full. I feel this not the issue. It doesn't stutter out. I hear the tranny try to engage and it goes clank and stalls. It starts right up and drives fine in whatever gear it was in after.

I also notice sometimes after shifting gears if I step on the gas it will stall. It seems to me like a protective mechanism if the machine somehow lost sync with it's gears.

Any idea what this is? I can attach some vids if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.