Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they worth the $? Who makes the best one?
Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had the Hunterworks CDI on mine and took it off; wasn't worth the aggravation to me of stepping on the brake all the time to start and the "brother in law" was broken when I got it. I may look at the MSD some day.

I am not bashing the Hunterworks, it just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a dynatech and a hunterworks. Tried them both, didn't really notice a difference either way. I stayed with the HW only for the brother in law switch to use when I'm letting my daughter drive. Didn't notice that I didn't need to use the brake with the dynatech. Definitely worth it for the speed limiter removal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The MSD 4240 works with the stock cdi...all the functions are the same except the rev limiter is raised to 8,000 rpms and the 40 mph speed limiter is removed...stock motors can't pull 8,000 rpms in high...top speed with stock tires and sheaves is typically 50 mph...

Stepping on the brake to start is only required if vehicle is in gear...that is controlled by the stock cdi...

The Stock cdi is the highest quality and most reliable for all normal functions including starting...

We sell the MSD 4240 for $105 shipped...The most economical way to get past 40 mph...

A sheave mod will not get you past 40 on a 660 motor w/o removing the factory speed limiter...

It has been out since 2005 and MSD has sold many thousands of them...

and again...you do have to have a stock cdi to use it...

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Are they worth the $? Who makes the best one?
Thanks

for 100 bucks from craig for msd isnt bad,

the best cdi for the 660 is a dynatek , ebay for around 150ish

and yes the TWO major things yamaha should of done from factory was a performance tune cdi and a sheave - stock , best thing to do to a rhino

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Having used them all myself I disagree with the dynatek being the best...

It has it's good points...so does the HW...so does the MSD...

I personally can't say anything good about the procomm as I did buy two of them back in the day...both went bad on me...both had really nasty reverse rev limiters...

There is zero difference in power...

The best feature of the dynatek is the 9,000 rpm rev limit...mine would not cold start my 686 with sticking compression release...where the stock and the HW would...stock and HW have superior starting from my experience...

It is rare that even a built motor can get over 8500 rpms in high...so the 9000 rpm rev limiter is not worth much to many...

The HW has the low speed switch...for some people that is good...it has 8500 rpm rev limiter which is more than the average built motor can pull...has good starting qualities...the down side is you CANNOT use a tach with the HW...it cost more...and they are not always available when you want one...

The only down side to the MSD is that with a built motor you will lose a little top speed due to the 8,000 rpm rev limiter...you can still hit 64mph with a sheave machined for top speed with round rollers and the right secondary spring at 8,000 rpms or approx 60 mph with OD weights at 8,000 rpms...and again...that is IF you can pull 8000 rpms which most people can't...

IMO...the MSD 4240 is pretty much a no-brainer for most people...why pay more for something that has zero benefit what so ever...???

Oh yes... IF the MSD 4240 fails in the field... you still have the stock cdi already installed to fall back on... AND it has a 1 year factory warranty...

So if you are happy with the functioning of your stock cdi and just want to remove the rev/speed limiter to go over 40 mph this is the most bang for the buck...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Having used them all myself I disagree with the dynatek being the best...

It has it's good points...so does the HW...so does the MSD...

I personally can't say anything good about the procomm as I did buy two of them back in the day...both went bad on me...both had really nasty reverse rev limiters...

There is zero difference in power...

The best feature of the dynatek is the 9,000 rpm rev limit...mine would not cold start my 686 with sticking compression release...where the stock and the HW would...stock and HW have superior starting from my experience...

It is rare that even a built motor can get over 8500 rpms in high...so the 9000 rpm rev limiter is not worth much to many...

The HW has the low speed switch...for some people that is good...it has 8500 rpm rev limiter which is more than the average built motor can pull...has good starting qualities...the down side is you CANNOT use a tach with the HW...it cost more...and they are not always available when you want one...

The only down side to the MSD is that with a built motor you will lose a little top speed due to the 8,000 rpm rev limiter...you can still hit 64mph with a sheave machined for top speed with round rollers and the right secondary spring at 8,000 rpms or approx 60 mph with OD weights at 8,000 rpms...and again...that is IF you can pull 8000 rpms which most people can't...

IMO...the MSD 4240 is pretty much a no-brainer for most people...why pay more for something that has zero benefit what so ever...???

Oh yes... IF the MSD 4240 fails in the field... you still have the stock cdi already installed to fall back on... AND it has a 1 year factory warranty...

So if you are happy with the functioning of your stock cdi and just want to remove the rev/speed limiter to go over 40 mph this is the most bang for the buck...
Very well said Craig! If funds dont allow me to do the rotax swap i have planed than this is the way i will go. I think the dynatek was some of the problem i had when my motor let go. It let my stock motor rev to high. So i would use the msd if it was me.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I appreciate that Josh but your stock motor would not have been rev limited by the MSD 4240...a stock motor cannot pull 8,000 rpms in high...especially with a sheave...

A 686 with ported head and +1 valves and stg 2 cam will barely get 8400 and that is 65+ mph with a sheave mod...

If you are saying you think the ignition curve caused your motor to blow I seriously doubt it...I don't think you can blame the brand of cdi...

I have seen too many people with bone stock motors with stock cdi who used nothing but Yamalube have the stock piston and/or rod break and destroy the motor to ever believe that the brand of oil or CDI caused the problem...

Some pistons and rods are weak from the beginning and they are gonna break someday no matter what...

Obviously the harder you run the sooner that day will come...

I have also seen too many stock (internally) motors with Dyantek CDI that had the snot run out of them relentlessly all day long and as long as they were not low on oil never break...

So I would never tell anyone they should switch brands if the one they have is working for them...

But if you have a stock cdi...and want to go over 40... order an MSD 4240 now... :biggrin:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would recommend only 1 CDI and it is the MSD 4217. With its ability to custom map 2 different timing curves and rev-limits it has been used in nearly every 686 build to date in our shop.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I forgot to mention that you can use a tach with the MSD 4240 CDI for the Rhino 660...

You CANNOT use a tach with the HW...

·
Registered
30 Posts
So....going with the msd 4240, you will have the factory timing curve ? What about the reverse rev limiter ?

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
The msd for the 660 only over rides the speed limiter. Belt limiter, reverse limite and timing stay the same

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by dpg707
Got my MSD today. Installed in less than 5 mins. My stock 660 rhino now does 50+ mph. Awesome product.

Did you get the 4240 box?
Yes, he got the MSD 4240 from us...

CDI

In stock...very fast shipping...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by dpg707
Got my MSD today. Installed in less than 5 mins. My stock 660 rhino now does 50+ mph. Awesome product.

Did you get the 4240 box?
Yes, he got the MSD 4240 from us...

CDI

In stock...very fast shipping...
Just ordered one from you guy's, was hoping to see a 2 day shipping method so I could get it by Friday for our Thanksgiving ride, but oh well, Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Just ordered one from you guy's, was hoping to see a 2 day shipping method so I could get it by Friday for our Thanksgiving ride, but oh well, Thanks!!
Thank you for your order...we appreciate your business...email with tracking no. was sent to you earlier...

Super fast shipping...your order left the dock within 30 minutes of your order coming in...!

Was too busy processing your order to see this post...sorry about that...

Express shipping costs a fortune...our free shipping is very fast...the time it takes to process express shipping usually takes longer than normal shipping...waste of time and money 99% of the time...

If you had ordered it yesterday or even very early today you would have gotten on Wednesday for certain...you still might get it on Wednesday but more likely Friday...

Lesson to be learned... the sooner you order it the sooner you get it... :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts