Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have built a cage extension for a little less than 58 dollars, just thought i would share that with you guys. Finished today. I have the lengths and peices needed, i will scan it and put it on here if anyone is interested. Surprised with how easy it actually was. I got a 21 foot length of 1 1/2 inch pipe .133 thick, and 6 short 90s, 2 peices of 1/4 inch plate 12 inchs long by 3 1/2". 2- 4 1/2" x 3/8"bolts and 8- 5/16 x 1" bolts. It weighs about 50lbs. rhino before cage done (3).jpg before the cage. rhino cage welding and grind done (4).jpg Done the welding and grinding rhino cage done (1).jpg All done and painted. Cant upload drawing with sizes. 2 - 38 1/2", 2 - 23", 2 - 12" peices. Hope this helps someone else. Got a roof bent for it aluminum, about 150. Total investment less than 250.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That looks pretty good! Have you given it a quality test roll yet?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looks good how did you attach to bed?

·
Registered
356 Posts
looks like he attached it to the inside of the bed by looking at the cage alone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havent rolled it or tipped it yet luckily, hopefully that doesnt happen. I did mount it to the bed inside at the back. Theres 4 1/4"x1" bolts through the inside of the bed from the outside behind fender skin. I cut the bars off and am going to insert nipples and weld them in tnside the tubing to make it possible to have a quick remove top. heres some pics so far, havent had time to do anymore yet. troys cell pics 048.jpg [/ATTACH] Hope these help paint a picture for you guys, its pretty easy to line up with these pipe fittings.:bike4:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
with all ur dimentions thats only 6 parts? what about cross beams? isnt there 8 parts total? not counting the 90s? thanks id like more info if possible!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Impressive. Makes me wish I knew how to weld, could've saved about a grand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya sorry theres two cross beams, i think they were 43", so 8 peices total. Got nipples in and drilled through and installed 3/8 pins to make quick disconnect on rear. Got to work front disconnects out for quick removal, will post pic when done. Got seat now too, 50 bucks 89yj rear seat, fits perfectly.
the 38's are the top two, 23's are the rear uprights, 12's are the peices that mount to plates that bolt to box.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
looks like the one i made but i used muffler pipe then bent over 90 degree so there is one pipe going around the top then i welded 2 washer in the ends and bolted them trought the back oringal bar and 2 uprights at the back ,on the bottom of th uprights 6 x4 plates bolted through the floor i use it to haul a boat works good

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whats the finished cage look like?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have built a cage extension for a little less than 58 dollars, just thought i would share that with you guys. Finished today. I have the lengths and peices needed, i will scan it and put it on here if anyone is interested. Surprised with how easy it actually was. I got a 21 foot length of 1 1/2 inch pipe .133 thick, and 6 short 90s, 2 peices of 1/4 inch plate 12 inchs long by 3 1/2". 2- 4 1/2" x 3/8"bolts and 8- 5/16 x 1" bolts. It weighs about 50lbs. View attachment 25888 before the cage. View attachment 25889 Done the welding and grinding View attachment 25890 All done and painted. Cant upload drawing with sizes. 2 - 38 1/2", 2 - 23", 2 - 12" peices. Hope this helps someone else. Got a roof bent for it aluminum, about 150. Total investment less than 250.
Where did you get the 90 in town or you order them. Ones I seen were like $15 bucks a piece. This is exactly what I would like to build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very interested in this. Can you PM me the outcome of the cage. This sure beat $1,000.
One of my employees is a welder and would be up for the challange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
was wondering if you could email me all of the info needed for this cage and what kind of tubing and maybe the drawing with sizes....thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my weld on 90s at a fabrication shop in town. Any fab place for pupe should have them on hand.
Just as a status on strength of the cage i made, my brother rolled his commander and we put the winch line around my rear bar of cage. I pulled him back to camp about a km, kept wheelieing but made it no problem. The cage didnt bend or break at the bolts. The plates are attatched to the thinner material on the box but strong enough to drag out a sxs through bush with. Should be strong enough for a tip over i would think.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
nice extension, why pay someone else to do what u can do urself is what i always say. the money i have saved over the years doin everything myself could prolly buy a new rhino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to have your list of what you used and the dimensions or pictures of the roll bar that you built.
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Doubt any of those people are still on the forum it was years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts