Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took out the Rhino this weekend and I realized while backing it out of the garage that the 4wd and diff lock lights were on and it was indeed stuck in 4wd. I messed with the dash switch a bit but nothing would shut off 4wd/diff lock. I ended up pulling the relays under the hood to disengage it so i could go for a ride and that worked fine. My question is this. Should I replace the dash switch, or could the relay's be stuck on somehow? Is there anything else I should look for as well?

The last time I rode it I had it pretty deep underwater so I'm assuming I shorted something out. Also, where is everyone buying parts for their Rhinos? Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Before replacing anything check for "trip voltage" at relay - this is the signal from the switch that engages the relays. If you plug the relays back in and they engage the 4WD then either the relays are toast or you have a constant trip signal from the dash switch. Also ensure that your battery is okay - low battery voltage can affect relay operation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before replacing anything check for "trip voltage" at relay - this is the signal from the switch that engages the relays. If you plug the relays back in and they engage the 4WD then either the relays are toast or you have a constant trip signal from the dash switch. Also ensure that your battery is okay - low battery voltage can affect relay operation.
Thank you for the reply. My battery was dead before I used it and I had to jump it to get it going. I'll swap batteries out ( I have a brand new one on hand) and try that. I did order a dash switch but I'll test everything first before installing that.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The dead battery is likely why the relays locked up - relays don't take well to low voltage. I suspect your switch will be okay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dead battery is likely why the relays locked up - relays don't take well to low voltage. I suspect your switch will be okay.
you were spot on. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and reinstalled the relays. Works great now without replacing the switches or the relays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts