Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found the right deal on a good 660, so I am tearing down my baby and giving her a new heart...

I got the cage, seats and bed off the first night. Then the hard work began... As I tore into the 450, a couple differences were found between the 660 the 450. For the most part it should be a pretty easy swap. The biggest thing I have found to be different is that the floor pan for the 450 has a hole where one of the engine mounts on the 660 goes. The ducting is obviously different for the cvt breather and engine fan. The only wiring that I have found that is different what I think is the shift indicator plug. On the 450 there are 4 wires that come of the front of the transmission. Each has their own plug to the trans and goes to a plug in the harness. The 660 has 4 wires that come from one spot on the trans and goes to a similar plug in the same location.

I will get a friend to come over and weld up a cover for the hole where the engine needs to mount. How critical is the ducting for the cvt? Can I just leave it open at the end of the cover or do i need to replace the plastic ducting? Any ideas on the wiring?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I get somebody to take some detailed pictures of their carb hose and wiring on a 660? I am almost done with my swap but just want to make sure I'm getting everything connected and routed where it should be. I'm most concerned with the carb hoses. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Did your motor come with the factory carb and airbox and boot that attaches them...

The wires to carb are just 12v that connect to the fuel warmer on the bottom...12v lead (round) to tip of fuel warmer and flat is ground and goes on flat blade terminal...and you don't need it...

Also...your 450 probably didn't have a return line on the fuel line...the 660 does...

PM me your email I will get you the info you need...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That is cool looking ride...gonna be a lot faster now... :)

What are you going to do with your 450...

It would make an awesome golf cart swap project...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is cool looking ride...gonna be a lot faster now... :)

What are you going to do with your 450...

It would make an awesome golf cart swap project...
I already sold and shipped it. I had lots of ideas for uses of the 450, but no funds, space or time...

·
Registered
94 Posts
howd ur 450 to 660 swap end up going

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great! I couldn't be happier. There is a tremendous difference in power. I forgot to grease the u-joints and the front one made a lot of noise, aside from that it went great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
good stuff, always good when a swap goes as planned

·
Registered
2 Posts
how much did you spend on the conversion and was it a direct bolt in or did you have to buy some other 660 parts? im looking at a grizzly 660 motor to put in the 450 chassis.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a direct bolt in, but no major fab was required. The 450 chassis was missing the correct holes in the floor pan to bolt one of the 660's engine mounts to. Also needed all the air ducting for the cvt, engine fan, and air intake. Needed the front drive shaft, complete, as well as the shifter rod and bracket on the engine. Had to do a small amount of wiring on the transmission indicator from the 660 to the 450 chassis wiring. This allowed me to reuse the 2006 digital dash on the 2007 engine. The coolant hoses from the 450 connected to the 660, but I'm afraid they may be a little too small, and kinked just a bit, so they may restrict flow and cause overheating, il have to see about that when it warms up. Make sure and get the coil from the 660 as the 450 has a different spark plug boot.

I spent $2200 on the Rhino 660 and sold mine for around $1000. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doing the same swap and wondering what you did with wiring from the trans? I got mine all mounted in now and cranks o.k but got no spark and wondering if these wires had anything to do with it? Also wondering if I need a different air box for carb or will 450 one work? Any more differences that you can think of let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally found the right deal on a good 660, so I am tearing down my baby and giving her a new heart...

I got the cage, seats and bed off the first night. Then the hard work began... As I tore into the 450, a couple differences were found between the 660 the 450. For the most part it should be a pretty easy swap. The biggest thing I have found to be different is that the floor pan for the 450 has a hole where one of the engine mounts on the 660 goes. The ducting is obviously different for the cvt breather and engine fan. The only wiring that I have found that is different what I think is the shift indicator plug. On the 450 there are 4 wires that come of the front of the transmission. Each has their own plug to the trans and goes to a plug in the harness. The 660 has 4 wires that come from one spot on the trans and goes to a similar plug in the same location.

I will get a friend to come over and weld up a cover for the hole where the engine needs to mount. How critical is the ducting for the cvt? Can I just leave it open at the end of the cover or do i need to replace the plastic ducting? Any ideas on the wiring?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
what about the drive shaft

1 - 19 of 19 Posts