Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a left over 2008 450 rhino that is in warranty it is back firing when u shut the engine off it has been in the shop for 4 weeks and they have not got it to stop doing it any help please ace

·
Registered
425 Posts
Only back fires when you shut it off or when also you let off the throttle on a hard acceleration? Check the obvious things like maybe a hairline crack in the header, valve lash, new fuel filter. Maybe RuttingRhino will chime in. He's really good at determining if it a fuel problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only back fires when you shut it off or when also you let off the throttle on a hard acceleration? Check the obvious things like maybe a hairline crack in the header, valve lash, new fuel filter. Maybe RuttingRhino will chime in. He's really good at determining if it a fuel problem.
only when u shut it off when the motor stops then it back fires thanks ace

·
Registered
22 Posts
This doesn't really help you, but my wife's 450 does something similar when shut off.....not really a backfire, but more of a "poof" sound. Ours will backfire on a hard decel, but I know these machines are jetted lean from the factory. I bet going one step up in size on the pilot jet would resolve alot of this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This doesn't really help you, but my wife's 450 does something similar when shut off.....not really a backfire, but more of a "poof" sound. Ours will backfire on a hard decel, but I know these machines are jetted lean from the factory. I bet going one step up in size on the pilot jet would resolve alot of this.
u my be right because it does sound like a poof

·
Registered
425 Posts
I rejetted mine after it was backfiring after a hard decel or popping while going down a hill. I rejetted my pilot to a Mikuni 22 and a 140 main jet I believe. Backfiring was gone as was the popping. Adjusted my air fuel screw out to 1 3/4 turns if I remember right my plug was almost white before I did this. Now it is a light tan color. RhuttingRhino helped me out a lot with the jetting and testing.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I got a left over 2008 450 rhino that is in warranty it is back firing when u shut the engine off it has been in the shop for 4 weeks and they have not got it to stop doing it any help please ace
Go get it from them and do it yourself...it's not hard...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I switched to 89 octane and it eliminated my backfire problem when shutting the engine off after a hard run. '06 660 stock except for CDI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.