Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new here pardon my questions in advance. I have been a quad guy and recently got an 06 450.

Questions before I learn the hard way.

1. What purpose does it have to have different tire sizes between the front and rears.

For ease of spares for when I hunt was thinking to do same size front and rear. If turning radius is affected will 1 in wheel spacers work?

Tires?

Also, what about a small lift? Or is it pointless?

It's a 450, any minor performance things that can be easily done?

After market hard top with racks?
1/2 doors?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you Google Rhino accessories you'll see that the sky is pretty much the limit to what can be done to the Rhino. I can't answer your question about the tires - just like ATVs, there most always is a width differential between front & back. When you start doing suspension mods be conservative else you will likely have consequences (reliability-wise) down the road. Do you really need to lift it? You can easily end up putting a lot of money into a unit that is 15 years old which you probably will never recover. When I first got my Rhino I asked the same questions as you and was advised to just update the sheave and install power steering - which I did (plus a lot more but mine is a 2012 fuel injected). The power steering was the absolute best investment I ever did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you Google Rhino accessories you'll see that the sky is pretty much the limit to what can be done to the Rhino. I can't answer your question about the tires - just like ATVs, there most always is a width differential between front & back. When you start doing suspension mods be conservative else you will likely have consequences (reliability-wise) down the road. Do you really need to lift it? You can easily end up putting a lot of money into a unit that is 15 years old which you probably will never recover. When I first got my Rhino I asked the same questions as you and was advised to just update the sheave and install power steering - which I did (plus a lot more but mine is a 2012 fuel injected). The power steering was the absolute best investment I ever did.
I got good deal in this one....used only in a retirement trailer park, 240 hrs, 110 original miles....maintained to the extreme. The original tires, mud tires, need replacement being only used on asphalt.

The lift was just to accommodate a slightly taller tire for clearance.

From Trailer Park to a hunt vehicle

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow - sounds like it will be worth investing some $$ into - good for you! Hear what I say on the Power Steering - it makes a whopping difference on handling!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested in this thread. I'm in a similar situation with a 07 450 that I'm considering buying. However, this one requires an engine teardown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The difference in tire size is front is narrower that way the rear has some fresh undisturbed ground for better traction. The older 4x4 trucks use to accomplish this by having the front axle housing wider than the rear. Plus a narrow tire steers easier and has less effect on bumps jerking the wheel from your hands.
The first thing I would do if I had that machine is buy a new ngk plug and adjust the fuel air screw on the carb as well as make sure air filter is clean and not excessively oiled. Buy an extra air filter and have it oiled and sealed in a ziplock bag so when you need one change it and this allows time to properly clean dry and oil it and have it ready for the next change time. Would also consider an electric fuel pump. The mechanical one is prone to vapor locking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 450 was prone to the rear axle popping out and a lift kit would make this worse. Be cautious with wheel spacers as they can wear wheel bearings quicker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts