Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some questions for you guys that have 4 seaters.I enjoy looking through the pics of the great looking Rhinos on here and I see alot of 4 seaters.When I bought my Rhino a few months ago,it had the rear cage/back seat installed.I also got a cooler,etc. rack and hard tonneau cover.We trail ride mostly down here in the Ozarks and belong to an ATV/camping resort called Cloud9. Some of the trails are very steep,rough,etc and have alot of water crossings and some mud areas.My concern is having alot of weight with 4 adults and feel like it's gonna be too hard on everything. Perhaps all the 4 seaters I'm seeing usually only have kids riding back there and I wouldn't see any axtra strain on the Rhino that way but 4 adults??
I've already had alot of people tell me they wanna ride back there when we hit the trails and......to be on the safe side,I removed the cage/seat and put the other stuff back on!
What's you're feelings,thoughts,experiences??

Attachments

·
Banned
401 Posts
Kids are fine but adults not so much unless u upgrade the shocks

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

the more aftermarket crap you put on your rhino that doesn't directly contribute to engine output will make it perform worse, doesn't matter if its a cooler or gun rack, they all add up to over stressing the springs and killing performance, thats what most people don't figure out, they just keep adding more crap,batteries,radios,flairs,racks,all junk....then they scratch their heads wondering why their "JC whitney'd out accessory box of junk" wont climb hills or dunes as good as their buddies rhino does.......

·
Registered
521 Posts
^^What they said.
Four adults is too much. Even putting the kids in the back, depending on their weight, will be taxing on the suspension and motor. Upgrading the shocks is a must. You'll find the back end sagging too much otherwise.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
the more aftermarket crap you put on your rhino that doesn't directly contribute to engine output will make it perform worse, doesn't matter if its a cooler or gun rack, they all add up to over stressing the springs and killing performance, thats what most people don't figure out, they just keep adding more crap,batteries,radios,flairs,racks,all junk....then they scratch their heads wondering why their "JC whitney'd out accessory box of junk" wont climb hills or dunes as good as their buddies rhino does.......
LOL>>>>>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Obviously the more weight you add the more power it will take to move, so you need to look at the type of riding you do and what you want from your Rhino. Most of my ridding is in the hills and mountains where I'm more concerned with low end because most of that is low speed. When I do this I normally carry my kids in the back and the only performance mod I have is the Hot Rod sheave and I'm more than happy with the power it has. My next mod will be to upgrade the springs to help with the added weight in the rear.....so I guess to answer your question, If you are going to be hauling alot of weight I would do the suspension and a sheave....

Sent from my Standard Issue D2G

·
Registered
252 Posts
Right now I still have my 2011 Rhino 700. The past hunting season I had myself at 178lbs, my friend at 214lbs, and his friend at 197lbs plus about 150lbs of gear in the rhino which is completely stock which according to the book is overloaded. We were on a very rocky trail that also included a huge amount of mud, sometimes about 8" deep, several 1 foot deep water crossings, and lots of hills. While even being overloaded the rhino did awesome, 4WD was only used a couple times coming back up out of the valley where the rocks were hanging up the rhino due to all the weight. Unloaded 4WD wouldn't have been necessary at all. Yes, it can be done, but the rhino really doesn't have the rear seat room for adults, and on the trails that I was on I would absolutely refuse to put kids in the back of the rhino unless a significant roll cage and seat belts were installed.

The rhino is an awesome machine, but personally if you want to haul around adults look at the Polaris Ranger Crew. Longer wheel base, more leg room, and only marginal loss of offroad capabilities due to the longer wheel base. The ranger's also offer turf mode which unlocks the rear axle to allow easier turns on pavement and turf without tearing up the tires or the turf. The Rhino doesn't offer that, and my lawn shows it LOL. The AWD system in the ranger, after driving one of the ranger xp 800's last week I found that its just as reliable and capable as the 2 button idea that Yamaha is still using (its not bad, but it could be updated a little).

You could tell a difference in acceleration with all of the weight but at the same time on the trail I was on going fast was not going to happen anyways, and the engine braking on the hills is amazing even when overloaded.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My rear shocks (in my sig) are turned up all the way and I can haul 4 adults with the same sag as the stock springs had to 2 people roughly. The new shocks really helped the body roll with 4 people since these rhinos dont have sway bars. I run in low if I am loaded down on the trails until I get on the road then go to Hi.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4 seater

Thanks guys,for your overview.....guess I'll keep the rear seat outa this thing. I know what's gonna happen....midnight,everybody'd a little **** faced and we take one of our "late nite" rides.There's gonna be 1 or 2 sayin..."I wanna ride with you" !
I hate to sell this stuff so I'm not sure what I'll do with it??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks guys,for your overview.....guess I'll keep the rear seat outa this thing. I know what's gonna happen....midnight,everybody'd a little **** faced and we take one of our "late nite" rides.There's gonna be 1 or 2 sayin..."I wanna ride with you" !
Where are you located?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you located?
South central Missouri,West Plains....about 40 minutes from Mountain Home,Arkansas/Lake Norfolk/Bull Shoals Lake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts