Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is primarily for the local guys, as I dont want to pay shipping for a cage!

Who's cage(s) do you like? I really like the TCB cage, but its bookoo $$$. DFR's would be perfect if they had the cross-bar up fron (that goes over the seedo hump) and bars that went above the bed rails. SDHQ's is nice, but again, bookoo $$$. So, what are y'all using and how do you like them?

It's not that Im cheap, or dont want a good cage. I just dont want to dump $2200 when I can get the same safety for $1200.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I love my Desert Toyz cage. They pretty much will build it custom to how you want it. I also have had good experiences with Jagged X, they build some nice cages also. The prices of both of these companies are about the same. Somewhere between $1200-1600 depending on what you want. Then there is all the extras like cooler racks, bumpers, leg minders, etc. It can add up.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Snapper, DFR can do anything you want as far as a cage goes. Most places that build cages will do what there customers ask. Call and ask them.

If not build your own if you can.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66cummins said:
Build your own :D way cheaper to do it, I built mine for around $200. :D
Im really thinking of going that route......You have any pictures of yours?? Duh, never mind...just found your pic! :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i was figuring about $800 to build my cage.

SDHQ is the safest cage you can buy. they are on the heavy side. when you do roll it down a hill their cage will only bend slightly. not like most cages that have to be replace every time they roll.

TCB cage's are a "sport cage" not a "roll cage"

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
oh yeah...its not too hard to build you own cage, as long as you have an idea of what to do.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Right there with ya,, 66... I am building my own as well. Helps having a tube bender and the know how on welding!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i should be building my next month. soon as the new bender is hooked up

·
Registered
431 Posts
trooper522 said:
66cummins said:
Build your own :D way cheaper to do it, I built mine for around $200. :D
How hard is it ? and do you have to be an expert welder ?
I am no "expert" but I do alot of welding at work and for hobby tinkering in the garage. Here is the cage and trailer I built in the garage :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think welding is the easy part. Pretty much everyone Mig welds their cages. It is notching and getting a nice tight fit for the tube that is a pain in the arss. You dont want to leave big gaps then your weld look like poop!!

If you are looking for a tube bender chech out trick-tools.com(they have everything you can imagine for metal work, including a great tool for notching called the Pipe Master) or jd2.com

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
a grinder works too. not the best by far but it will do the job

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude, Call Dennis at American Sand Toys and tell I told you to call him for pricing. 480-212-0414. They did my cage and seats. I will be putting pictures up soon.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
To do a cage yourself you need at least a bender, die or dies (usually 2 for a rhino cage), notcher/grinder and a welder. If you do not have some of this already It would not be cost effective to do only one. The price of dies have gone seriously up. A 1 3/4 die is around $300. Bender is another $300. Welder price?? The cage will require a Couple hundred dollars in Steel. You are guaranteed to ruin some if you don't know how to do the calculations to operate a bender. Another $100 in cage ends. Sorry don't want to sound like a pessimist, but would hate for someone to dole out all that cash thinking it was a breeze and not realize what they are getting into. It's not rocket science, but there is a learning curve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts