Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i run 30" silverbacks or outlaws with a 2in lift, without a clutch kit, but i do have a cdi box on my 660

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can but I would not do it, it's gonna kill your low end power, get with vwhotrodrhino and he can get you set up with weights spring and sheave in what you need. He's a vender here look under JBS section

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know i will need a clutch kit. yeah im gonna get his parts here in the future. i just wanna know if i can go ahead and get the tires and run them till i get the kit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your machine is stock, you are going to struggle in thick mud. The CDI is not going to do crap to aid in pulling the tires, except give you a reverse override.

I had 28s on my 04 660 and when it thick mud, it would barely turn them in low. I even had times in reverse, it would not spin them at all. My buddies 04 660 is the exact same way with 27'' outlaws. Bare in mind, both machines have springs, shim, and sheaves.
I fixed my issue with Muzzy's, 686, and a FCR 41. I can hit 60 mph on gps with 28s now and the power is night and day different than stock.

You will be fine clearing the 30's with the lift. I have 28's with no lift and no scrubbing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd do 29.5" Outlaws over the Silverbacks, if it were me. I just like the 'Laws better for soupy mud and water.

Now for the clutch situation. Run the big tires for a few rides. But make the clutch a top priority. You will kill your wet clutch if you really mud that Rhino. That wet centrifugal clutch is not going to like the load those tires put on it one bit.

We run Grizzlys in the mud quite a bit. The Rhino has a similar belt setup with the Ultramatic transmission. For 29.5" Laws or 30" Backs, I'd go white EPI spring and 14 gram weights, minimum. If you were a Grizzly I'd also recommend 1.5-2.0mm of shim in the primary sheave assembly, but I don't know if the Rhino will be able to handle that much shim before the belt eats a hole in the CVT cover. I think your best bet would be to do a JBS Hot Rod sheave with 14 gram greasless OD weights and the white spring for that big of a tire.

The Rhino needs all the help it can get when it comes to mudding, especially the Rhino 660. Unfortunately, the Rhino 660 has somewhat higher [numerically lower] gearing than the Rhino 450 and 700, so it's going to struggle pretty bad in 4wd in anything more than a water hole with 30" tires and no clutch work. There are numerous threads on the internet where guys with even 27-28" tires found mudholes where they could not turn the tires in reverse.

I'd make that clutch a priority. It'll be ok cruising around. But I'd stay out of the mud until I was properly clutched.

Just my opinion.

:bike4:

i know i will need a clutch kit. yeah im gonna get his parts here in the future. i just wanna know if i can go ahead and get the tires and run them till i get the kit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had both 28" and 30" Silverbacks on mine.
You'll love the look but it will struggle w/o serious clutch work.

Here's mine with the 30" Backs...before we chopped the cage and gave basically the whole machine a "facelift"...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i bought my 660 with the 27 vampires and all the other stuff on it. i havent tryed it out yet. but thanks everyone for ur input, its got me thinkin. i do alot of muddin and trail ridin so i do want to do things right.

your rhino looks good david!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks...but it doesn't look ANYTHING like that anymore.

Here is a current pic(and yes...it's the same Rhino,lol)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that looks sweet! one of kind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2slow and dcfox, what size lift did u have on your rhinos when u had backs?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the 3" SuperATV lift and hated it.I kept breaking shocks.
I'm running the 2" CFM lift now and I think I have more lift with it than with the SuperATV 3".
I have no doubt I could still fit 30" tires.In the picture of it above in blue with the 28" Zillas...all 4 shocks are on the softest setting.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a 2 inch cfm lift with teryx shocks in the rear and front long coil over shocks in the front cranked a little bit

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh cool!i got a 3in xpatv lift coming and i plan on running 30s. i will running the 27s vamps i have now for a little bit till i get new tires.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Get the JBS Hot Rod Sheave, I run 29.5 Laws with some mods & it made all the difference in the world. Best money I have spent ! Had mods before the clutch & it was in a bind most of time in the mud, not anymore. From what I have seen with the Xtreme lift after getting Rhino full of mud they sag alot looks like there is no lift at all, IMO I would save a little more & get the Catvos 3" arched a arms. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im gonna get the hot rod sheave and change the spring. i got the lift new for $150 when they are normally over 300.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man ive been running 30" outlaw radials with no work at all. Just a two inch lift. They pull hard and ive never had an issue. I recommend the radials to anyone

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh really mudslut23. do u have pics of ur ride? mine came with a 2in lift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.