Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed all new batteries in my Rhino 660. Replaced as per original owner build using a 12v 35ah deep cycle agm battery for startup, and 2 Odyssey pc925 batteries for sound system and lighting. Original build also included Warn battery isolator. It appears the isolator is only hooked up to the 2 Odyssey accessory batteries.
Took car out to California City a couple of weeks ago, ran sound and light system...came back and parked it. Yesterday did a battery check and discovered the 2 Odyssey accessory batteries are both reading identical at 6.4 volts while the main battery is at 12.8 volts.
Before I start testing for parasitic drain, charging system, etc. hoping to get some insight on those using second or third battery setup.
I did read somewhere that isolators won't charge the second batteries unless the main battery gets to 13.3 volts. If that's the case, is it possible the charging system isn't capable of reaching that minimum and the 2 Odyssey batteries aren't getting any charge...ever?
Papa SXS

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just installed all new batteries in my Rhino 660. Replaced as per original owner build using a 12v 35ah deep cycle agm battery for startup, and 2 Odyssey pc925 batteries for sound system and lighting. Original build also included Warn battery isolator. It appears the isolator is only hooked up to the 2 Odyssey accessory batteries.
Took car out to California City a couple of weeks ago, ran sound and light system...came back and parked it. Yesterday did a battery check and discovered the 2 Odyssey accessory batteries are both reading identical at 6.4 volts while the main battery is at 12.8 volts.
Before I start testing for parasitic drain, charging system, etc. hoping to get some insight on those using second or third battery setup.
I did read somewhere that isolators won't charge the second batteries unless the main battery gets to 13.3 volts. If that's the case, is it possible the charging system isn't capable of reaching that minimum and the 2 Odyssey batteries aren't getting any charge...ever?
Papa SXS

I've never used an isolator before (I'm old school and use a constant duty solenoid) but looks like it might be wired backwards - shouldn't it be "one in' and "two out"?.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sandbuster, confused by what you mean by "one in and two out..." Are you referring to how the 2 batteries are connected to isolator?
Papa SXS

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Man for a build like that with so few hrs you r havin some problems, i feel for ya. Hang in there it will b worth it once u get that beast runnin right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sandbuster, confused by what you mean by "one in and two out..." Are you referring to how the 2 batteries are connected to isolator?
Papa SXS

Referring to the isolator (which I don't have much expertise on), where the isolator is labeled "IN" you have two cables attached and one cable coming out the side marked "OUT" - it just seems like it should be wired reverse of that? Maybe my thinking just needs to be "rewired".. Maybe I need to ask which side of the isolator is the charging side?

·
Banned
72 Posts
Sandbuster...I think what you see is the Rockford Fosgate AMP relay. The isolator is under dash and not pictured. lol
Brian Lee. Rhino is going up for sale. Just picked up a 2019 Wolverine. I love the Rhino but it's' more for the gals/g-kids and the Wolverine is a better fit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sandbuster...I think what you see is the Rockford Fosgate AMP relay. The isolator is under dash and not pictured. lol
Brian Lee. Rhino is going up for sale. Just picked up a 2019 Wolverine. I love the Rhino but it's' more for the gals/g-kids and the Wolverine is a better fit.
That explains it. Good luck with the awesome Wolverine!

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the batteries are not getting charged it is because the isolator is not letting them. The isolator is probably doing it's job by not letting the two aux batteries get charge. Check your charge system,you should be getting 14.1-14.4 volts at your main battery when running. If not you smoked your stator.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Where is the isolator? I don’t see it in the pic.

Is the isolator hooked up to the rhino at all or just to the 2 odyssey batteries.

Maybe the 2 batteries were connected to the stereo and lighting as a stand alone battery source only to be charged at home or at camp and never by the rhino itself as the rhino has very little extra output to run or charge batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The isolator is not pictured...it's up under the dash. The way I understand it is the isolator directs the charging system to the main starting battery and when it receives full charge then allows the secondary batteries to charge. If Rhino charging system struggles to keep main battery charged it won't transition over to secondary batteries and yes, they will have to be charged at camp, etc.
I read somewhere that the isolator only switches over to secondary batteries when main starting battery has reached 13.3 volts.
Papa SXS

·
Vendor
3,511 Posts
A rhino can't charge three batteries and run all that, the batteries must be charged at home and the charging system will add some

You only have about an extra 90 watts or less after the vehicle uses what it needs from the stator and you can't do all of what you are doing with that

There is also a way to wire the isolator, the charge wire must be cut and ran to the isolator from the voltage regulator, the wire you cut must be terminated because once it is connected correctly it will be back fed.

So lets say you have a isolator that has one input and three outputs, run the charge wire to the input, then each battery gets an output, this way all three are isolated from one another.

Still need to fully charge all batteries at home

I have been there and done this on a 660 back in the day

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts