Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, just got off the phone with the parts guy. They dont make 26" mud lites like he said they did.

Will the 27" mud lites rub, make it harder to steer, or slow down my rig too much? What are the negitives to the tire size? and benefits?

Will I be happy with them on a 14" rim???

I need answers quick, so he can order them!

Also, for mud, sand, and trail riding, what is best the mud lite or the terracross?

I know the mud lites look better, but what performs better?

I ask as the terra's come in 26"!

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Had 14" ITP and 27" mud lites on my 450, little Rhino did not like it pefomance wise. No problem with steering. Mostly did desert and rock crawling and tires did fine, but would rub in extreme up and down angles. Not sure about Terra cross, but hear they don't wear well. You can see the mud lites in my pic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 26" TC's on 14", I think they wear fine. I know AZBDBY has used his on the pavement and I've been impressed at how little wear they have. But this is my experience. Where are you located?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dallas Tx!

Anyway, do you guys think the 27"s will rub during extreme up and downs on the new 700FI?

...so they dont affect turning at all?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 26" will rub on the rear when I am jumping. With normal crawling they will rub on the rears, fronts only when turning hard and one wheel is compressed. My 27" SSR's will rub more on the front as well when turning. I don't jump nearly as much with them since they are so heavy. Fronts see more rubbing during turning.

Affect turning as far as making it harder? No, tire width (contact patch), tire pressure(which will also affect contact patch) and wheel offset (spindle leverage) will make have an effect on how hard it is to turn. It also depends on how hard you ride, a person can ride and not make them rub at all, just depends on how much finesse you drive with, lol

Hope this helps. Rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So the 27"s will rub under normal conditions is what your saying?

Slow the Rhino down, and affect power sliding around turns etc?

Would I just be better off going with a 12" rim, 25" tires and mud lites?

I dont want anything compromised for looks. Ive seen the 12" rims with 25" tires and they looked much better than the stockers. What do yall think I should do? I want to be able to jump and not worry either!

...but if its not too much of a compromise, I want the good looks..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
27" tires are going to rub in the rear for sure.

Mine with AFCO shocks and 14" wheels/26" tires rubs in the rear when I jump.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My father's Rhino has 27" Mudlights XT and they never rubbed at all - even with a big load of gravel in the back.
I have 27" Bighorns on mine and they rubbed on the plastic in front of the back wheels a little - no big deal, I just trimed about 1/2" - 3/4" off and it was fine. The 27" Bighorns measure almost 28 1/2" tall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Im good to go with 27" Mud lites?

The parts guy at the yamaha shop (i know) told me that he guarantee's they will fit, and ITP guaranteed him that too.

Should I roll with it, or get something smaller?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
They will fit no doubt...but they WILL rub. Hell like I said mine are 26" and they rub when the suspension compresses.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd go with the 27".

Like I said I trimmed my plastic a bit (For the Bighorns) and no one can tell unless I tell them

FYI.. the Bighorns are a much smoother driving tire then the Mudlites

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I will need to trim the body work (plastic) or the underside of the wheel well plastic??

Will it still break loose around turns and such, power wise?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
How are yall not rubbing?

I will take a pic of mine where it rubs with 26" tires.

Must have to do with my shocks allowing more travel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wheelin....

so they werent rubbing at all? Do you ride hard or easy? I will be tearing it up, so I dont want any rubbing, but I think I can handle a little loss of power but not much!

bottom line...

should I go with 12" rims, and 26" mud lite xtr's or 14" with 27"s???

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have 27 mudlites and 14" rims. Only the rears rub the black plastic side panel in front of the rear tire. Dont worry it rubs nice and them you cant even tell...!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I ran 27" Mudlite XTR's on stock suspension for awhile. They rubbed a little bit on the rear fender, front lower black piece, when jumping. Turning wasn't a problem, front tires were 27-9R-14, rears were 27-11R-14. They worked great in all types of terrain. They took away a bit of acceleration as far as power loss is concerned.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had 27 mudzillas on my 660 griz before I got the rhino. I noticed a huge power loss compared to stock. Now I have my rhino I have left it stock and when I replace the tires the will be stock size for sure.
JMO
Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a set of 27/11-14 mud lites with a 2-5 off set all the way around and they rub the front floor board at a full turn and will hit in the back if you put a lot of weight in the back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My buddy has a 450 with 27" Mudlites on 14" rims with no rubbing issues. He is running the 5+2 offset all the way around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts