Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

27 silverbacks or 28 zillas? help

16K views 76 replies 11 participants last post by  praedonumsanguine 
#1 ·
Ok so first consider the mods in my Sig. Now shud I go 27" silverbacks or 28" zillas? I will admit I am I bit hard on the throttle. I ride mud, water, trails, gravel and the side of the road. I don't want to lose much torque or break anythin. And want a smoothish ride on the gravel. And I can't lose much top end either as I ride with a 400 ex. I need to keep atleast 50mph. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Keep in mind more goes into breaking stuff than just weight of the tire. The silverbacks are aggressive you can snap axels with any of them coming out of a hole spinning and one catching a root. Also, you can kiss 50mph good bye unless you are on the street lol.

Between a 27 & 28 your only talking a total of 10 lbs or so of difference which isnt much. There will be more rotational mass but how much, idk.

Bottom line is with either tire you wont be able to go ape sh*t with otherwise you will break something. Even if you don't it will cause more wear to the machine resulting in at minimum bearing changed outs etc. At the end of the day to play with the big dogs you pay with the big dogs.

Invest in the differential supports either way, its an absolute must when running aggressive tires.

#4 ·
I have a rear support. What speed would I be lookin at? And I don't drive ape **** like. But I gas it a good bit when I get into the bog. Which would be best? Btw I asked between these 2 tires.

#6 ·
I have 28" zillas on 14" rims and love them. They have went through practically everything I have wanted to go through. 28" Zillas are roughly 7-10 lbs lighter on each tire than the 27" backs and this is because less rubber and smaller tread depth. Power loss will be minimal with Zillas and moderate with Backs. You could probably achieve 50mph with either tire but it will take you much longer. Either tire will be great in the mud. Good luck with your decision.

#7 ·
Well backs are def out. But I'm now decidein tween outlaw 2s and zillas. I ride 70% trail and 30 muck and water. Like I ride up to the seats in swamp. 1ft water with 2 ft muck. Any thoughts on these new choises?

#8 ·
IMO unless you are riding 90% muck go with Zillas or mudlight xl. You will save money and havoc on the machine plus maintain performance. It sounds like we ride similar terrain but with mine I ride a but more mud and I can tell you there are very few places I can't go and the places I can't, other rhinos with more aggressive tires can't either. I've had mine in a drainage ditch with muck and water over the steering wheel.

And an added bonus is a much much smoother ride, either mud tire will beat the hell out of you. If you want something in between look at the terminators it's a great in between tire but performance will be sacrificed and you will still put strain on the machine.

IMO you will be happy with a mudlight xl or Zillas.

#9 ·
Hmm I jus really like the look of the aggressive tires... Idk how much loss wud I have with the ol2s?

#10 ·
I would agree with Brice there. Ol2's, Backs, and Terminators are all extremely aggressive mud tires that look awesome and perform great in the mud but they don't fit your riding style. I am pretty sure OL2's are roughly 5 pounds heavier than Backs so power loss will be noticeable. More rubber the heavier. I would stick with Zillas IMO. Or XL's

#11 ·
ok, I didn't know that the reg laws weigh less than the 2s. any thought on 27" laws? lol zillas are still an option but there pretty close to what I have now

#12 ·
I would say bigger is better. 28" zillas would go through just as much or if not more muck and mud than 27" laws would. Laws are going to dig and dig and 27 inches is not that tall so may run into bottom out issues with the muck you ride in. 27" laws are roughly 8-10 pounds heavier than 28" zillas. You will not find a more aggressive/light combination mud tire than the Zillas or XL's. Check out the Outlaw Radials too. Those are aggressive and not too heavy and they probably ride well on the trail since they are radials. A couple of people on here ride law radials and really like them.

#13 ·
Ok the main hole I'm tryna get thru like has no bottom. I sink almost to my waist where the water in about 8-10" deep. Jus to kinda give ya a mental image. So I guess its at 28 radials or 28 zillas. Which u think are most aggressive?

#14 ·
I dont have experience with either so I will let people chime in there. But just a note, if you get out and sink to your waste, no tire is gonna get you through there. A loaded rhino is not light and the second you get your a-arms stuck or you are on the frame, tires arent going to do squat. The OLs do have side wrap but if its that soupy the side wraps isnt going to grab anything of substance to pull you through.

My brother has a 4 wheeler with OLs and it really can work through just about anything. only problem with that comparison is there is a significant weight difference as well as he can use his weight to shift and grab in other places where you really cant in a rhino.

Just food for thought.

#15 ·
Really good thought. Jus to reclarify I said almost. It was up to the seats. And btw zillas are out. Not gonna be aggressive enough. It's at laws or radials. And also to throw out there. In the next few months I may be movin to good ole southern Alabama. And down there it'll be more like 60% swamp mud and 40% trails. Not tryna be a pill jus wanna get all the info out there so I make a good choice.

#16 ·
Then thats a question you have to decide. The OL will have more traction by far but will also rob more power and at best will increase wear and tear if not cause you to break things. The radial is going to be a nicer rider with less stress on the machine but you will sacrifice some traction. I am in florida and do ride some nasty places with just Mudlite XL's. IMO if you aren't a hardcore mudder and don't want to reach in those pockets to pay for what breaks go with the less of the two. I know its hard sometimes to not have the bragging rights but thats just my opinion. I can tell you my brothers Honda (which is basically a tank) has constant wheel bearing issues from the added stress.

Thats really the long and short of it and at the end of the day has to be your decision at least the options are a bit more clear than say between an ol2 or silverback.

#17 ·
Tru tru. Not heres a thought. I'd kinda like to put spacers on it. Can I do that with the radials and the lift and not fall apart? Lol

#18 · (Edited)
Radials will be a better ride, but laws will get you through more. It seems like you really want an aggressive mud tire but dont want to admit it lol. Go with the laws or terminators. It won't fall apart if you take care of it and perform routine maintenance after each ride.

#19 ·
Yea yea its tru. Lol so its 27 or 28. Watcha think? Both laws btw

#20 ·
I would go 28x10's all the way around

#21 ·
aight, ya think I could push it good?

#22 ·
You will probably notice a power loss but shouldn't have a problem turning them. Might want to consider a Team Alba Exhaust or Muzzy's. Exhaust tips don't give you any power increase.

#23 ·
ive been planning on a Alba. sounds good to me.

#25 ·
id prob go zillas if i was gonna. but imma rebuild it and then sell it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.