Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

just looking for opinions on a 2005 660 Rhino , I bought one 1100 miles 760 hrs
all stock except for cdi and front rack , winch ,, I started spending money on it to upgrade
just wondering if I should just up grade very little or just move up to a newer unit and spend
all of those dollars there .. I know you never recoup your money on your investments ..
paid $3800.00 for the rhino
Thanks for any replies
TS2

·
Registered
106 Posts
I say yes it is well worth the $$s to keep it . I have an '06 660. While I have made quite a few repairs I enjoyed every minute of it. If engine went tits up I might rethink my opinion though. I have a buddy with an 05 and he claims he only ever maintains it and have not made a repair yet.

·
Holiday Winner!
514 Posts
I agree, the Rhino is still a great machine. However, there has been a lot of advancement in the field since 2005. I would not spend a bunch of money to improve its performance. A few hundred bucks on a machined sheave would be money well spent, but I would not go crazy. It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to head out on some trail rides, a stock (or nearly stock) Rhino will serve you well. If you want to out run polaris guys at the dunes, save your money and get a newer machine when the money is right. Dollar for dollar, your Rhino is the best thing out there. You will be able to easily hang with machines that cost more than twice what you paid.

·
Registered
494 Posts

I don't think there are sand dunes in Missouri ... I may be wrong, cause never been there, anyway trail riding and even deep mud riding you will like the Rhino .... If you don't you can sell it for the $3800 and put $20,000 with it to buy a new machine, and then replace broken axles and other regularly.

I have an 06 660 with 29.5 Outlw2 tires and I go where the Polaris guy's go with 34 and 36 Terms and Mavericks can't follow me even with 36 Terms unless they put in an aftermarket front locker.

·
Registered
420 Posts

I don't think there are sand dunes in Missouri ... I may be wrong, cause never been there, anyway trail riding and even deep mud riding you will like the Rhino .... If you don't you can sell it for the $3800 and put $20,000 with it to buy a new machine, and then replace broken axles and other regularly.

I have an 06 660 with 29.5 Outlw2 tires and I go where the Polaris guy's go with 34 and 36 Terms and Mavericks can't follow me even with 36 Terms unless they put in an aftermarket front locker.

If the previous owner (s) took care of it (you should be able to tell) and you're okay with just a fun, almost bullet proof machine, stick with the Rhino. As others have stated they are a solid machine - like a Timex, takes a lickin but keeps on tickin... I got jazzed the other day looking at a video of the new KRX 1000. Even though I have never been a Kawasaki fan, the unit impressed me. But then I took into account my age and the years left I have to enjoy the sport and the 20+K price tag - keepin the Rhino just makes a whole lot more sense... :grin

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe a big part of that decision is who you ride with and where you go. If you stay in the tier of units that are your peers, you will not regret spending some $$$ on it and riding out the cost. If you are riding with a bunch of upper tier SxSs then you will probably regret the cost you spend cause you will not get it back in resell and it will not take you to the upper tier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I believe a big part of that decision is who you ride with and where you go. If you stay in the tier of units that are your peers, you will not regret spending some $$$ on it and riding out the cost. If you are riding with a bunch of upper tier SxSs then you will probably regret the cost you spend cause you will not get it back in resell and it will not take you to the upper tier.

Well stated. :smile

·
Registered
505 Posts
I thought I would add a factor if you did not realize it... if it is not a typo, the miles vs hours on that machine is skewed. It would appear it has gone about 1.4 mph on average for its life. The unit will log hours if the key is on even if the motor is off. If it has a radio or was used on a farm that would help explain it. 1100 miles is not much so motor should be OK or it did a tremendous amount of idling and you should check for carbon buildup.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rhino's are easy to work on, run forever and will do most anything you need them to do. You won't be as flashy as the guys rolling around in the $20K plus buggys but you also won't be in debt and with a few mods get down the same trails they can to watch them tear up their stuff. I've got two Rhinos and they are great, they can be modded to your style to do what you need them to do and a pretty low cost. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $3800 on one that has been taken care of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

Thanks for the replies …

so I bought it for 3800.00
and gave myself a 2500.00 budget
and spent 1650.00 so far ,, on upgrades and mods
on phase 1# , will see how it goes to reach phase 2 #

Thanks again for the replies
TS2

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the replies …

TS2

LOOKS GOOD!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the replies …

TS2

VERY NICE, looks super clean .... hate to see you guys don't have mud in Missouri, and if you do, get a winch for those nice looking trail tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Muddy Mo

[/quote]VERY NICE, looks super clean .... hate to see you guys don't have mud in Missouri, and if you do, get a winch for those nice looking trail tires.[/QUOTE]

Huh !! I live in the corn fields of northern Missouri , for me it's a 2 lane blacktop , gravel roads , and farm and river bottoms ,,, :banana::banana::banana::banana:
I run a Warn 4500 lb on the front , and on the back I use a portable Warn 2500 on a 2 inch receiver and I use welder quick connects from one of my welder for power .

TS2

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks like Phase 2 will be starting ,,
new stator ,new starter which wasn't the problem , but
it was the drive gear so ,drive gear ,full gauge package , radio
and installing a alternator from a GM ..
will post back with pics and details

TS2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts