Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 2012 Rhino, went out in the hills for a ride. Everytime I coast down a hill with my foot off the gas it starts backfiring. Not continuosly, but about every 30 or 40 yards, pow like a rifle shot. Called the dealer and they seemed really puzzled. That worries heck out of me if they don't have a clew. So tomorrow I'll take it back to them. If anyone has any ideas that I can relay to the mechanic I would sure be thankful to you.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
take it back. shouldn't backfire. it's probably a EFI issue, sensor, or possibly but highly doub loose exhaust. did you make sure it has an air filter in it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I checked the air filter. The exhaust seems fine, tight and I can't hear any leaks. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How fast are you going when you take your foot off the gas? Mine will do it a bit if I have it pinned then let off the gas going downhill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I start down a hill it is at an idle. I'm breaking in the engine so I haven't even wound her up yet.......

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's ridiculous. Mine MIGHT pop once in a blue moon after a high speed burst followed by downhill deceleration, but if it's backfiring at idle, something is totally wrong.

Plugged fuel injector? Kinked fuel hose/return/vent line?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's ridiculous. Mine MIGHT pop once in a blue moon after a high speed burst followed by downhill deceleration, but if it's backfiring at idle, something is totally wrong.

Plugged fuel injector? Kinked fuel hose/return/vent line?
Mine only does it after a high speed run (and not really loud), not any other time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the honda 420 did this alottttttt , the temp sending unit is defected on them , even though honda said it was normal, some dealers replaced them and ppl stop having problems

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked with dealer today. Told them I would bring it in at the 20 hour service and they can fix it then. I just have to brake going down hill instead of engine braking. I am afraid if I take it back before it is broken in they would be hotrodding around trying to duplicate the problem. Thanks for responses. I'll let you know what happens in a week or so!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike, I just took my 2012 700 Grizzly ATV out (first time) and it is backfiring going down a hill. I had to go down 5 miles and it was backfiring all the way every 30 or 40 yards. Same as your Rhino I was breaking the Grizzly in. I was not on throttle so the machine was engine breaking. Let me know what your Dealer going to do for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my Rhino back this afternoon. Seems to be okay but am not going to get too exited until I drive it for a couple of days. They did all the diagnostics on it and they all checked out. Then I guess they called Yamaha, because the paperwork says "ISC calibration
per Yamaha". That's all the info I have so we will see if it really is fixed over the next few days....Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
run premium fuel, mine was doing the same thing after i put the billet tip on the exhaust. now that it is well broken in i can run regular with no problems but i still run premium when ever possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that Sherman.

I only had one backfire today, so it is at least 99% better.
Thank you Ron, Casey, and Dave at Colusa Tractor for your
quick response and professional handling of the Rhino repair! Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Rhino and it has started backfiring a lot when going down hill with no throttle. It also quits a lot after coming to a stop after going downhill? Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey buddy yeah I did read the previous posts. I've took it to them already and they claim to have fixed it but they didn't. I was hoping to get some real info from somebody whos had the same problem. Don't reply if you're just gonna be a prick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts