Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't want to throw more parts at it I need some definitive answers this bike might have 50 miles on it cylinder and all top end components has maybe 5 hours on it since they were replaced because of faulty factory workmanship

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Crank sensor / pickup coil tells cdi when piston is in position to fire and cdi sends spark to plug
Yes, that is correct.

A bit of a technicality here: On the Rhino 660 the CDI sends a +12V pulse through the primary coil of the ignition coil (the other end of this coil is continuously connected to ground.

On the Rhino 700, the hot side of the ignition coil is continuously connected to +12 Volts. The ECU connects the other end of the primary coil to ground to generate the spark.

Your machine might be doing this either way.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
So my problem might lie in the cdi
Yes, it could be.

One thing that I might mention is the resistance (Ohms) testing of the coils involved. Some of these resistances are quite low, under 1 Ohm or thereabouts. In this case you can get deceived by the reading on the meter. Before measuring the actual resistance of the coil on any multimeter, first short the test leads together and record the reading on the meter. This is often in the range of 1 Ohm or less, as you are measuring the resistance of the test leads themselves. Then, when measuring the resistance of the coil, subtract your previously recorded number from the lead testing. This gives you a much more accurate reading of the true resistance of the coil. This can make a huge difference in the results of your testing on small resistances.

If your meter actually measures 0.0000 Ohms when you short the probe tips together, you are one of the few lucky ones, or have a very good (expensive ?) meter. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
thank you for the info i am some what electrically challenged this helps. but all of my readings were within specs of hisun Manual but i do need to compare it with yamaha. a buddy of mine bought a rhino same year that i did and when i described it to him he said i was describing what sounded like a 2008 rhino that is why i got a 2008 rhino manual

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
mine is a 2012 though. i guess bennche was a few years behind on technology. i guess they have to do that to be within the laws of business, patents etc.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
mine is a 2012 though. i guess bennche was a few years behind on technology. i guess they have to do that to be within the laws of business, patents etc.
My guess is that it takes a while to reverse engineer the parts that come off of an actual unit that was purchased, pilfered or stolen after the copied machine is into production. Then you have to set up production lines to make it available in quantity.

You probably want to look at each manual and compare to what you have on the machine. Pick the one that is closest to what you have in your machine in that particular area.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts