Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran my bennche a month ago and all was fine but when i went to crank it last week it turned over but it didn't crank then i checked for fuel all was fine then i checked for spark none present then I checked Battery good voltage then primary coil tested good ohms and same with stator/magneto tested good ohms. so i jumped it off and i had spark i put plug back in tried to start and nothing just turned over i jumped it again and it only spit and sputtered like a backfire at times. called technician and did a rundown on what i did he said maybe bad gas so i drained fuel and put some fresh in then he said battery might be bad so i had it load tested only battery tested good. talked to another technician he said maybe a weak stator/magneto. any ideas on this ????

·
Holiday Winner!
870 Posts
Is this a fuel injection system or a Carburetor? Todays fuel is a major issue to a Carb system if not treated when stored.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Starting it normal no spark. Start it while boosting it has spark
Try turning on the lights and measuring the voltage as you crank the starter.
It sure sounds like a weak battery. 12.7 Volts or more across the battery terminals at rest is a fully charged battery. Any less needs a battery charge. The stator itself is simply an alternator for recharging the battery. It will not produce any appreciable voltage while cranking anyway due to low RPM, so it should not affect spark while cranking. The voltage should not drop below 11 Volts while cranking as you will not have enough voltage to produce any spark with some aftermarket CDIs.

Tell us the battery voltage readings at rest and with headlights off while cranking.

·
Holiday Winner!
870 Posts
Benneche is a HiSun product, Hisun is in Texas, McKinney, TX 75069, I would give them a call, perhaps there is a code reader for your unit, I think there is a reason the ECU isn't completely a circuit to allow spark. Bad Crank sensor or corroded connection. Let us know how it goes.

·
Engineer
8,211 Posts
Most cdi's won't fire primary voltage to the coil if your battery is even slightly low. Many of us have aftermarket ecu's which contain a Cdi that fires as low as 8 volts. As I stated earlier as well as Steve, I think you should check your battery voltage under load. Turn on head lights, other accessories and check your voltage while cranking. Pull your primary coil contacts and make sure they are dry, corrosion free.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Battery is 12.7 volts sitting. 11.7 volts while cranking
That looks quite appropriate as far as having a good battery.

I'm assuming that you have a copy of the Yamaha 700 service manual to go by? Since your machine is a clone, there might well be differences, so be wary in going by this book. Do you have any published manuals from the manufacturer of your machine?

I would suggest you study certain sections of the Rhino 700 manual in trying to diagnose your issues:
3-4 check valve clearance (intake and exhaust)
3-8 check spark plug gap
3-9 check ignition timing
Fuel injection system:
6-7 set digital dash to diagnostic mode
6-9 list of diagnostic codes
Troubleshooting:
9-10 Ignition system
10-1 starting failure/hard starting

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have performed resistance/ continuity tests on all items listed in troubleshooting list haven't checked cdi yet pickup coil tested good primary coil tested good wit tested good it's a new plug

1 - 20 of 33 Posts