Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to this forum. My Rhino has not been started in about a month being stored in the barn. It cranks fine but does not start. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and is runs and dies. What is the next step ? How do I find out if the fuel pump is getting fuel to the fuel rail ?? Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
You should hear it runng when u turn ur key on before u start it, is the air filter dirty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
You should hear it runng when u turn ur key on before u start it, is the air filter dirty?

"Barn" may be the key word here. I had exactly the same issue couple of years ago when I left the Rhino sitting on the ground in the backyard. Didn't take long to determine that mice like chewing on insulated wire - they chewed completely through the fuel injector harness killing the injector and TPS circuit. If that's what happen you should be able to make the repairs yourself, then take action to prevent future dining on your wiring.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To see if fuel is flowing, disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the motor, hold a container to catch the fuel, turn key to on. You should hear the pump engage and see gas flowing into the container if the pump is working.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I believe you have a fuel pump fuse to also not forget, it's first to check. And as always do not trust a visual inspection of fuse, test it with an ohmmeter or test light. And make sure that there is power to the fuse block power side of the fuse.
Good comments above. If the fuel delivery is to the injector, then you should chase down the wiring circuit to the injector. Which includes wires and connectors.
I have never heard that ethanol would totally clog a fuel injector, so it would not even sputter some and hope you not the first, just food for thought....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys. New to this forum. My Rhino has not been started in about a month being stored in the barn. It cranks fine but does not start. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and is runs and dies. What is the next step ? How do I find out if the fuel pump is getting fuel to the fuel rail ?? Thanks in advance !
Had a similar issue with our Rhino in the winter, turned out to be a low battery in our case. Would crank but didn't start, once the battery was charged we were able to get it started. Led to other problems I posted about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sandbuster is correct- I removed the fuse box compartment and it was full of mice bedding. They did chew one ground wire going to my wench but so far nothing else appears to be mice damaged. I did see in the manual that there is a 10A fuse for the fuel injector. That fuse was blown and I replaced it. Still no fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also just checked the voltage across the 10A fuse. Even with the key off, there is 12V on both sides of the fuse. Is there a fuel injector relay downstream of this fuse ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect it may be a fuel relay ? Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of what relays go to what systems ?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Ill look in my manual tonight

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
there ya go

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Just looked at mine and 1&2 are the same relay part numbers. 3,4&5 are different from 1&2. So i would swap 1&2 dont try 3,4or5

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should I be getting 12VDC across the black 2 pin connector going to the gas tank when I crank the engine ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just by looking at the wiring diagram, YES. But it should be the Red/blue wire and the Black wire connector (not fuel sensor with orange wire). The black wire goes to a frame ground so check it to determine if it is a good ground. put meter on Red/blue wire and directly to frame and if you get 12v then the ground connection is bad. if not trace back both circuits. You should get power to that Red/blue wire from the relay so pull the relay and use a long piece of wire with meter to check continuity of that wire. The Red/blue shows it goes to ECU also so if there is no continuity disconnect the ECU to see if the ECU has done something to kill the circuit if still no continuity then track that wire down to a break or add a jumper wire as desired. Little varments could have gotten it somewhere else where it is not obvious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the black connector and I am getting a solid 12VDC with the key in the on position. I have also replaced the fuel pump but do not hear the pump running. What am I missing ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I checked the black connector and I am getting a solid 12VDC with the key in the on position. I have also replaced the fuel pump but do not hear the pump running. What am I missing ?
You are not being clear about what you have done. Black connector means nothing. See my previous post on side colors. If pump not running with 092334- had pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JIMCLEMJR- I removed the fuel pump assy and applied 12V directly to the pump connector. The pump is working. I do have a good ground on the black conductor going to the pump but do not have 12V on the red/blue wire. I swapped the relay between the fan and the fuel pump. No change. There are 4 conductors going to the fuel pump relay. With the key on I get 12V on 3 of the 4 terminals. The blue/red wire going from the relay to the fuel pump is still not getting 12V.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts