Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rhino 700
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New poster here but have learned a lot reading all of the great conversations!

Just bought my first Rhino and quickly determined that the clutch needed work (high reving but barely moving and hot smell after short drive). To make a long story short, the primary nut was finger tight (first sign of trouble), then found some weights were sideways, then the fixed sheave was not fixed (splines gone), then the one-way bearing came apart in my hand. I am surprised it moved at all. So needless to say, I am replacing just about everything with new Yamaha parts. I will slug the new wet clutch (Hunterworks) and reassemble (waiting for the large housing bearing that I didn't order to come in).

All that said to say this- it has no secondary fan as shown in the Yamaha diagram (part #39 & 40, 5B4-17679-00-00)
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/side-by-side/2008/rhino-700-fi-hunter-yxr70fhx/clutch

I assume it is supposed to have this fan/spacer arrangement? Somebody must've removed it? It doesn't seem there is enough room on the shaft for a spacer and fan- am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660, Explorer, new Progressive 429 Shocks
57 Posts
Some people removed them, particularly if they ford deep water. It wasn't really necessary according to many people, I don't really know but I don't plan on removing mine unless it becomes a problem.

Good work on the repairs. My old girl needed a lot of work when I bought her. The entire suspension, wheel bearings, brakes, and lots more. Fortunately the previous owner had the CVT rebuilt just before I bought her.

·
Registered
2008 Rhino 700
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people removed them, particularly if they ford deep water. It wasn't really necessary according to many people, I don't really know but I don't plan on removing mine unless it becomes a problem.

Good work on the repairs. My old girl needed a lot of work when I bought her. The entire suspension, wheel bearings, brakes, and lots more. Fortunately the previous owner had the CVT rebuilt just before I bought her.
My Rhino was the opposite- everything is in nearly perfect shape except for the clutch and faded camo (due to the age).

Not sure if the fan would even fit on the shaft- it doesn't look like there is room for the fan in under the nut, it is pretty much at the end of its threads. Good to know that many run it without the fan- we live in a cooler climate so it shouldn't be an issue then. Thanks for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts