Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

2008 Rhino 700 Reverse Problem

Tags
reverse rhino
9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  sandbuster 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Rhino 700 with a reverse issue. When I shift to reverse it takes off as if the throttle is stuck but it is not as it does not happen in forward. It seems the more strain the more harder it hits the throttle automatically like backing up a hill. If I back up at an idle on a flat surface or even a bit down grade it seems fine, but anything over idle it seems to take off with a mind of its own. Governor issue maybe???? Anyone ever experience the same issue? Any help with a solution will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've never heard of that one before. It will move in reverse when you are at idle, as not having your foot on the pedal? Does it move at idle like that when you are in a forward gear as well?

Just for the sake of diagnostics, does the reverse indicator light on the dashboard come on when you are in reverse and go out when you are in all other gears (including neutral)? Any error codes showing up?

#3 · (Edited)
I need to feather the Throttle in reverse to get it to Move, it doesn't move with out any throttle. THe only way I can control it in reverse is basically Feather the throttle just above idle so it will move, but I have Tracks installed and most time I need a little more throttle and then it seems to have a mind of its own as if the throttle is sticking and like I said, if there is a strain on the engine like backing up hill the engine will try harder all on its own. Weird.... Works just fine in forward.

The reverse Light comes on or at least it did Until I grounded the Reverse switch (Troubleshotin) which didn't solve the problem other that Keeping the "R" light from coming on. No error Codes...

#4 ·
The 700 has an ECU (Engine Control Unit) which controls the fuel injected into the engine. I would suspect that there is something going on with the ECU or perhaps one of the sensors that it relies on. If you can beg, borrow or steal a known good ECU to swap out as a trial, you might find that doing the trick.

The reverse rev limiter does an altogether different thing, in that it cuts in at around 4000 RPM to keep the engine from revving any higher while in reverse. I cannot see it being involved in the symptoms that you are describing.

For what it is worth, that same reverse indicator light flashes to warn of a malfunctioning speed sensor, at least on the 660.

#10 ·
That was exactly what the problem was. The engine mounts broke and broke the boot at the throttle body. In forward operations it would twist the engine and close the crack in the boot so it would operate seemingly normal, in reverse the engine would twist and open the crack causing extra air to get through and the engine to REV the more strain the more twisting. Replaced boot and engine mounts and tested fine.

Thanks GUys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.