Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum, looks like there is a lot of great information here to weed through, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for yet. Maybe some of you more experienced Rhino owners can help?
Just purchased a used 2007, 450. Its in good shape and runs great but the previous owner rigged (nice way to say it) a tractor muffler onto the machine and it may as well just be a straight pipe. Loud!!! Never seen anyone use self tappers and duct tape to secure the pipe to pipe connection on an exhaust system. The 450 OEM muffler assembly is discontinued and I have not been able to find anyplace with one in stock. Looks like aftermarket is the only option and I'm having trouble even finding one of those that isn't high performance and high dollar. I'm more interested in quiet than loud, nothing flashy, just as close to stock muffler as I can get.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Model YXR45FX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last winter I replaced my OEM muffler on my 2006 Rhino 450. I have similar goals to you as to noise and “high performance “ exhaust. I selected the Rhino 660 muffler from Caltric. It is priced under $ 200. But required modification to have a sealed joint at the stock header pipe connection. I took it to a local muffler shop that does custom motorcycle pipe work and in 10 minutes they had reduced the diameter of the muffler intake to match the header. I self- modified the hanger bracket so I could re- use it and it keeps the connection together. The 660 muffler otherwise fits the space designed for the exhaust. Getting it installed is a bit of a puzzle but I worked through it and it all came together with good results. It is about the same as the original muffler noise- wise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Texoma Hunter. I've seen those Caltric's on Ebay but wasn't sure if they would fit the 450. If you have a chance to post a couple of pics, I'd love to see the finished product. Just yesterday I finally heard back from DG. They manufacture high performance parts. They have a Rhino 450 OEM replacement muffler for about $500 including a silent core insert, but he said it would still be a bit louder than stock. DG RCMll model DG51-4200. Will make my decision soon as I am tired of riding around with ear plugs. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
Ordered the E-Bay Caltric muffler for the 650 Rhino and installed it on my 450 using a 1.5" to 1 1/4" reducer. The stock header pipe is 1 1/4" dia and the pipe welded to the muffler from Caltric is 1.5" so I had my muffler shop flair the pipe to accept the reducer and then weld it. Had to loosen the header pipe in order to allow room for the muffler assembly to slide into place, but the hanger mounts all lined up. Most importantly it looks and sounds like stock again, and only $200 spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts