Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2007 Rhino 450 with a broken mid gear support that I'm thinking about buying from him. I haven't seen it yet, but supposedly it has busted the crank case. Is this a known problem? What would I be getting into with this?

Cursory online search, I don't see any deals on a crank case halves.

Skill is not an issue. Licensed airplane mechanic and I've rebuilt other 4-wheeler engines (Honda, Suzuki, RZR)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well you have half the battle won - you have the skills to do it yourself. Parts, on the other hand, is your challenge. Look carefully at what you end up paying for the Rhino - perhaps source your parts before purchasing. Google, Craigslist, eBay again and again and again until you find it - I'm thinking it's out there, somewhere..... Good luck to you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My friend is dropping it off today. Once it thaws out in the garage, will see if it's worth trying to save.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stared ripping the engine. There was no oil in it. However, when I pulled the drain plug, a piece of gear tooth fell out of it. Going to be messy inside.

Question: Do I need to remove the front and rear diffs to pull the drive shaft out of the engine? The manual I have is not clear on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found another thread detailing engine removal. Simply, un-bolt the front diff and slide it forward about an inch to pop the front shaft out.Then lift the engine a bit and push it forward about an inch to disconnect the rear shaft. Note, there are springs in these shaft couplings that can pop out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the damage at the lower fwd case corner next to the speed sensor. Will be cracking it open next to determine extent of damage.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive lighting Engineering

Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is getting more expensive. Piston shot and the cylinder needs to be bored. Damage is on top of the piston leading me to think it was ran after it leaked out all its oil and sat for a long time. Whatever oil would have remained on the top of the cylinder would have drained down.

I've heard that a 660 engine can be installed in these models. Is that true? And if so, is there a shop out there that can supply a rebuilt engine? This is the opportune time to upgrade the engine.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sports equipment

Fluid Kitchen appliance Home appliance Ingredient Gas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't cracked the case yet. I need to acquire the puller to remove the alternator rotor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the case apart. From what little I know of the mid gear housing problem, I don't believe it is my issue.

Only damage found is on the main drive output pinion gear.

Gear Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Household hardware

Note the gouge to the right of the fastener hole in the RH case half:

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Snout Auto part

Mid drive gear in lower right of the LH case:

Product Gear Engineering Machine Auto part

I found several broke off pieces of the pinion gear. I think one or more of these pieces got jammed between the mid gear and the bottom of the RH case half. Torque from the mid gear caused it to punch the case and it cracked as it bulged out. The pieces found a save resting place. Before I took it apart the drive shafts and tranny all turned smoothly. So, whatever caused the pinion gear to break is the reason for the case damage. I saw no other damage to the remaining tranny gears.

Note the pinion gear piece next to the mid gear housing bolt:

Crankset Gear Bicycle part Bicycle Rim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts