Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

2007 660 running intermittently poorly

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  racerdave 
#1 ·
New to the forum. Bought a new to me 2007 Rhino 660 a year ago and it has ran great until this past Monday.

it has an aftermarket electric fuel pump and I have only used ethanol free gas in it.

Monday morning it was cold, in the upper 30’s but it started fine, ran great for about 1/4 mile then started choking out and the only way I could get up a very small incline was to go in reverse which didn’t bog down. Once on level we limped back to camp.

An hour later I tried it again and it ran amazing the rest of the day.

Tuesday was cold again, upper 30’s, it started but would flood out and die if I tried to drive it. I ran it for 15 minutes with my foot barely on the gas pedal and it just struggled to stay running. It never got better so I shut it down and we cooked breakfast. Went back out an hour later and it fired right up and drove great the rest of the day.

Wednesday was warm/hot by 10 am and it fired right up and idled fine. Ran great all day.

Really kind of confusing. Could it be a carburetor issue with it jumping from bad to good intermittently? Temperature seemed to be the only difference in the first start if the day but the first issue was after running for at least 5 minutes without issue so I’m confused.

what are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm confused too. If it was a carb issue, you wouldn't expect it to clear up like that. Definitely seems to be temperature related but I don't know what the problem is. Maybe someone else knows.

#3 ·
Is it the stock carb? There is a "carb heater" on the bottom of the carb that has 2 wires coming off it. One wire would be hot, the other ground. I would check to make sure both wires are connected, one wire is getting power and the other has a good ground. Yamaha must have put that there for a reason, so it's worth checking out. Also, make sure the choke plunger is intact and working correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.