Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so here is the issue I am having. Keep in mind I live in Manitoba Canada and its cold here. lol Like -25 celsius today with the wind.

Here goes: I keep my machine in my heated shop and the other day I moved it outside to build my full doors. (basically I am closing in the cab completely) And after it sat outside for a while I went to start it up and the choke cable was frozen solid. Now my question is can this be fixed or do I need a new choke cable? I am thinking I could just remove it and spray it with some sort of liquid graphite or something of that nature to keep it free even in the cold temps?? Also how hard of a job is removing the cable? I havent looked at it yet so I have no idea what is all involved.

Thx alot

MB

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The cable threads into the carb and is a plunger with an 0-ring...you simply un-thread the nut and pull the cable end out of carb...

I am assuming you are talking at he carb since the other end is literally at your fingertips already...

The plastic nuts at the carb do crack and break...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya at the carb end. I wonder if I should just install a new cable? I have heard than once your cable gets moisture its hard to free it completely from freezing in the cold?

thx

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Ya at the carb end. I wonder if I should just install a new cable? I have heard than once your cable gets moisture its hard to free it completely from freezing in the cold?

thx
That's what I was thinking. If you can get the moisture out of it, and lube it, it would be fine. For the low relative cost, I think I would just buy a new one and be done with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so i will go with the new cable route. One more question should I apply any type of lubrication to the new cable when installing to keep from having this issue in the future? What type of lubricant should a guy use?

thx alot
MB

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my Rhino 3 years now, I live in Mississippi where it barely ever gets freezing temps...but every morning I've tried to hunt when it was a good freeze that night, my choke cable is frozen! Nothing i've tried has fixed it, I'd guess new cable is a fix (until it gets moisture from normal use and it's gonna do it too)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just started having the same problem, until i get a chance to change out the cable I just try to remember to bull out the choke when i park. then its not an issue to restart.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had my Rhino 3 years now, I live in Mississippi where it barely ever gets freezing temps...but every morning I've tried to hunt when it was a good freeze that night, my choke cable is frozen! Nothing i've tried has fixed it, I'd guess new cable is a fix (until it gets moisture from normal use and it's gonna do it too)
We hunt the Ms. Delta as well, and my son broke the choke on my polaris yanking on it while frozen last year. I'm not having problems with the Rhino yet, but I pull the choke out when I park it too, just in case.

Hey.... Superman wears Camlock underoos!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts