Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone could help me out. I have 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 camo. Its been a great vehicle with very few issues. A few weeks a go we experienced a good amount of rain in West Texas. I took the Rhino out and had to put in 4 wheel drive due to the excessive mud. 2 days later things dried up a bit. Next time we took the Rhino it started making a grinding sound when we applied the brakes. More so if you pressed the brakes suddenly. My original thought was too much mud caked up underneath so I power washed most of mud off. Unfortunately that did not help. Im still hearing a awful grinding sound, seems to come from the rear. Prior to the muddy outing the brakes had not made this noise. Could it be mud/dirt, bad ball bearings, the brakes?? Any guidance would be appreciated. I would like to do the work myself to avoid the 120/hr rate my dealership charges. Thanks!
Michael

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my brakes. When I applied them it sounded horrible and it turned out to be the driveline splines needed to be greased front and rear drivelines. It didn't make sense to me at first but afterward I had to believe the shop where I had it done. Maybe somebody else can comment or you could go to a Yamaha shop and ask the question. Dave

·
Banned
188 Posts
Sounds like the rear brake to me. I had same issue. Pulled rear brake caliper and pads were smoked. Changed pads and scotch brite the rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's a pretty common issue with the Rhino's that have the rear disc on the driveshaft. From what I have read some of them do it others not so much and some worse then others. I have never been able to solve mine completely on our rhino, most just deal with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
One way to solve that is a set of rear brakes off of an 08/700. Now the Driveline brake is just a parking brake. Works everytime. Sorry had too post it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts