Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using the search feature but couldn't get anywhere. I have noticed for the last year my 06 uses a quart of oil every 100 miles. This Rhino has not had one upgrade done to it. Air filter gets swapped out every month and oiled. I have the originaly CDI box in it. I was very hesitate to purchase Yamaha from a three wheeler I had back in the day. This iced the cake for me. Anything or anybody know If this was a problem from factory let me know. I have googled this topic and found a topic that talked about the 2005 and 2004. I have had a lot of fun on this sidexside and I paid about 8,000.00 back in 2006. Can't believe this is only happening to mine and nobody elses. Maybe there is a lawsuit to deal with this?? Any help on this problem will be appreciated. Rick

·
Registered
112 Posts
my 07 has used oil from day one. mine is stock and if did high rpm riding i think mine would use that much oil too. i started running 15-40 which helped a little

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a pretty common problem with Rhino owners. On my hunting club we have many Rhino owners....you will talk to one and theirs never uses oil, then you talk to another and theirs does. Mine (unfortunatly) is one that does use oil. I am not sure where it goes; I don't see any smoke or leaks, but over the day of hunting mine uses 4oz of oil. The Rhino performs perfectly, runs great, but uses oil. I am not overly concerned, because I know what it uses per day. At the end of the day when I pull the Rhino in the garage, I check the oil and add 4oz to top it off. As long as it does not smoke like a crazy....I will just add oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have gotten the same type of information from google and yahoo searches of various forums, including this one. Mine is burning oil though. I have blueish white smoke from the tail pipe now. Mine started all the sudden after an oil change. It starts right up and purrs like a kitten and no smoke at idle. Mine smokes at any throttle input. When I changed the oil I used rotella 5w40. I just changed the oil tonight with castrol 4t 10w40. I took it for a drive and it still smokes but I think its kinda clearing up some. My problem started with an oil change and I hope using the right oil will help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok this is my next question. Since I will be adding oil to this Rhino and I don't want to go with the yamalube. Will Rotella 10w 40 work. Seems like I need to get a oil that will work on wet clutches???? Thanks Rick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok this is my next question. Since I will be adding oil to this Rhino and I don't want to go with the yamalube. Will Rotella 10w 40 work. Seems like I need to get a oil that will work on wet clutches???? Thanks Rick
The Yamalube is a too pricey if you are using oil. I use Kawasaki 4 cycle oil for half the price of Yamalube....works great for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts