Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has an ‘06 Rhino in need of a tune-up. What spark plug do you guys recommend? Also, any suggestions on specific things I should do that experienced owners have found helps the performance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
700 Posts
First off, what is going on that's having you want to tune it up? Running badly and/or power loss? Give us any symptoms that we should know about.

In a friendly attempt to try and educate you, Google "what to look for in spark plug condition". You want to learn how to "read" a spark plug. If possible take the Rhino out for a spin for several minutes allowing it to warm up. Try and maintain a steady throttle for a couple minutes then return to the garage. After it cools down a bit pull the plug and see if it looks like what you found a Google to be a optimal looking plug. If it looks like what Google says is okay - replace with same plug. If the plug is extremely white & powdery then try one step lower in the heat range and/or consider a larger main jet in the carb to correct leanness issue. If the plug is dark & sooty that tells you that engine is getting either too much fuel (choke engaged or incorrect jetting) or ignition is getting too weak to properly fire the plug..

Be sure to cover the basics also: fuel & air filters

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, my dad is not too much on servicing anything, so I thought I would do it for him. The reason for my post was that I drove it this past weekend and it was having, what I felt was power loss. It was also sputtering quite a bit. I will read the plug, as you explained, the next time I am up there in WV. Now, I know he doesn't have a manual. Where is the fuel filter located? I did replace his air filter last year, but I will clean it when I do the full service. Thanks again!

·
Registered
118 Posts
you should down load a manual for the 660 , second spend a couple bucks and put a new plug in it , look at the air filter and blow it out with air if you have a compressor . get a manual and spend 20 minutes reading it ,, make sure you keep it topped off on oil .

Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts