Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sparks like once when cranking then looses spark. Installed new coil. same. When voltage regulator is un plugged it starts and runs fine, just isnt charging battery. Tried new voltage regulator same problem. How do i test stator and are they easy to replace? Is stator problem??

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you will down load the manual you will see the Regulator or stator is not in the ignition system by the wiring schematic. In the manual it should tell you how to ohm the stator out to check it. I use the same pattern across the pins with the stator disconnected and checked for 17 volts AC......AC not DC......the alternator is putting out AC power until it reaches the Rectifier.
The stator goes to the rectifier then to the regulator then the battery. The CDI is getting it's power from the battery.
It is strange that it runs when you disconnect the regulator though......I hate to tell you to throw parts at it because it gets expensive.
The CDI is the easiest of the two. But check the stator output and go from there. It's hard to diagnose via the net.........uhhh

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If you will down load the manual you will see the Regulator or stator is not in the ignition system by the wiring schematic. In the manual it should tell you how to ohm the stator out to check it. I use the same pattern across the pins with the stator disconnected and checked for 17 volts AC......AC not DC......the alternator is putting out AC power until it reaches the Rectifier.
The stator goes to the rectifier then to the regulator then the battery. The CDI is getting it's power from the battery.
It is strange that it runs when you disconnect the regulator though......I hate to tell you to throw parts at it because it gets expensive.
The CDI is the easiest of the two. But check the stator output and go from there. It's hard to diagnose via the net.........uhhh
Good advice...

·
Registered
67 Posts
i know you stated you changed the coil, but what about the spark plug cap. check your grounds and get a meter and check the resistance in the wiring to the coil and to the regulator. might be something shorting to ground. remember this, jap wiring is opposite from american wiring. the ground completes a circuit not the power wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.