Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

2006 660 has SPARK Issues

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  User Name 
#1 ·
OK, I posted under engine, but this may be a how to. I need help!
I have a 2006 660. I am having internintant spark issues. I can run it for several miles with no issues, and other times it'll die and I have to wait for a long time to start it.
I have an afermarket CDI and the stocker, but my issue will happen with either CDI. When it dies, it will not power the orange wire on the spark coil. It will spark when the key is first turn to ON, but when cranking no spark. I have swapped parts off of my dads, and they all work fine on his. The only thing I can think of it the pick up coil located with the stator. How can I test that? When they go out, are they intermittant? Has anyone had to change one before? I don't want to tear it down to the startor, to replace a part that may not be the problem.

Has ANYONE encountered anything like this? It is driving me NUTS!

#2 ·
The pick up coil or pulse generator is simply a fine wire(coated with an insulating enamel) wraped around a steel or iron multiple windings when the magnet on the flywheel passes by it. there is a small amount of voltage produced.
No voltage no spark.
You probably already know some or all of this but It helps to understand if you don't.
Testing can be done with an ohm meter if you know what the resistance should be.
but even if it tests whithin specs it may have some issue with the enamal coating on the wire and rsistance change with temprature Or short to ground befor the pulse (voltage) gets to the CDI.

you could test milivolts by wiring in a volt meter temporarily and monitor the voltage up untill you have a problem.
My guess is you are on the right track .
of course all this stesting won't fix it but you will know you got it when you find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.