Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving 40 -45 on the road them pop.. oil and metal.. Can anyone tell me from the pics attached if th emotor is a total loss???? What can i expect to pay to repair. What is it worth to sell as is??? Many upgrade greta shape 1250 miles and 125 hours

im in peoria az

Attachments

·
Banned
401 Posts
You can find a good motor from $1500-2200 depends on miles !!!! Time for a rotax 800 whoooooooo

·
Banned
401 Posts
Is there a problem with the 2006 motors seems like a lot of blower motors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone in az intreseted in buying the rhino as is. The rest is in great shape and many extras/upgrades

·
Registered
412 Posts
That sucks. Sorry for your loss...

Is the rod still attached to the crank?

Looks like the wrist pin galled, but hard to tell from the pic. When was the last time you checked the oil level?

·
Registered
178 Posts
That'll buff out, these guy don't know what they are talking about. J/K. Motor is gone like the other more seasoned members stated. On the plus side you can possibly sell some parts from the top end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
realistically how much would you say the Rhino is worth now

2006 660 special edition
2 in spacers
1250 miles/ 130 hours
digital display
Not any major scratches or damage
$1100 wheels and tires
winch
4 matching bucket seats
stereo with 4 pioneer speakers and kicker sub with amp
many others.. just can think of it at the moment

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
In this market a rhino with no motor is not worth much...

Your looking for the rare person wanting a donor vehicle to do an engine swap on...most of them wanting to install motorcycle engines...usually people doing rotax swaps are either selling their used motors or are in your position and don't need a vehicle...anyway people wanting motorless rhinos are around...but only looking for smoking deals...and not many looking...

You can do better parting it out but that is a lot of work and you earn any money you get above fire sale price the hard way...

Getting and installing a used motor is not that bad and IMO the best way to get it sold...

If you liked your rhino before and still want a UTV and want one that kicks butt on all levels buying a used renegade or outlander for a motor swap will get one of the best utvs you could own imo...

There are also built high perfermance motors for sale on regular basis and that is a good way to go as well...

So you can dump it and forget it...work your butt off parting it out...get any motor that runs and keep it or sell it running...get a high output motor and keep it...put a rotax in it and keep it...

If you do a m/c or rotax swap your chances of breaking even are slim over dumping it...

You MIGHT sell it at break even with built 660 motor if you get a really good one for a great price...

You can also look for a beat down grizzly that is still motor in tact and rebuild it and have a really good motor in your rhino and keep it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So whats the pice of a rhino motor vs a mc motor? also do they fit the same way for the most part?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

you want a 660 only,and the grizzly has higher gears in it,depending on what year it can also have a smaller diameter through shaft and a hollow middle drive gear shaft,also they run less oil in the crankcase,so they might be prown to oil starvation more so than a rhino so be careful buying a grizzly motor....just a heads up...I have the guts of both motors in my shop so I've seen the difference,so don't believe all these guys who say they are identical,because they aren't identical 100%

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It blows me away how much someof you know. Iappreciate any feedback. Most of this is new to me.

Does anyone know if Yamaha sells new 660 motors, the reason I ask is that I have a family friend who is sponsored through Yamaha and he gets parts at cost. Any guess at what one would go for at cost?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
new 660s

my buddy called me about 1.5years ago and said he placed the last order for 50 or so 660 rhino engines for yamaha from japans yamaha engine assembly plant, that was the last run of 660s the plant was gunna build, he is a west coast corporate big wig with yamaha...they only build soo many complete motors for soo long and then they just offer the parts, so no-u can't get brand new engine assemblies for the 660 rhino,only cases,cynlders and heads etc...he sold them all one by one to dealers and stock was depleted...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
660s

I have 5 engines, they need freshening up, I have fordged pistons for them,they all are stock,one is half together, I've just been busy working on my 4 seater for the season, was going to just drop it off at the proshop and have them do the assembly as I've been busy...it will have a fresh rebuilt crank and rod and fordged piston and new valvejob..no clutches as you will have to use your clutch...I keep the clutches for spare parts for me and my dads rhinos....cameron...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
check this link hot rod.....

660 2005 YAMAHA GRIZZLY MOTOR ENGINE RUNNING COMPLETE - eBay (item 180733273947 end time Oct-10-11 19:23:01 PDT)

its a grizzly but a later model which is better than the early model 660 grizzlys, he states only 600 miles, I would email him and give him a call and try to get some history on the bike it came out of if I needed it, see the grey dipstick,change that as rhinos have a black dipstick and run more oil in the crankcase,very very important,take off the notched pully for the pull starter as you won't need that and you're on the road.......later,cameron..

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
660s

there are a lot of parts in these engines,more than a car as these 660s are combined with the transmission. So in buying a used engine there are a million things that can be worn or loose or falling apart...stock pistons are cast aluminum and are weak, middle gear support boses in the crankcases are prown to busting if you throw it into gear while rev'd up, also the bolts in the middle gear bracket sometimes come loose...the oil pumps self destruct if the yahool who owned it never serviced the oil(but thats with any engine) when they don't service the oil and aircleaner it kills the engine fast and its on a downhill decent from there,then it
starts to burn oil,then busts the piston and then karate chops the cases like yours did...the star shaped drive gear for the counter balanced is pressed onto the crankshaft and has been known to spin a tad and throw the counter balance out of time...just a few things worth mentioning...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts