Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "good" news is the jug isn't hosed.

Cracked valve guide and bent exhaust valve.

The previous owner did a valve job and forgot to put the spring around the valve keeper.:mad::mad:(n)(n)

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news about the jug and hopefully that's all the damage you find.
So far. I don't know if I should just split the cases and do the bottom end anyway or just go for the top end.

I only have about a month before it's too hot to take it to the desert.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Camshaw told me about your rhino -I see your fixing it -cool- since your a desert long travel deal with proof that this is a interference engine it might be wise to tear it down completely. Upgrade some parts & inspect....make sure the crank pin and rod aren’t damaged. Ck the one way bearing ,all the chains-wet clutch shift drum
etc and reseal-if things look and feels cherry and with zero prior issues ...then fix the head & top end components-only if your sure there’s no metal debris sitting in the-sump...just a few suggestions without seeing it for
Myself - good luck on your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bajadog

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Still not 100% I'll fix it. Parts are getting hard to find (not Chinese clone parts, but OEM parts).

Might still sell her and buy a boat.;)
Camshaw told me about your rhino -I see your fixing it -cool- since your a desert long travel deal with proof that this is a interference engine it might be wise to tear it down completely. Upgrade some parts & inspect....make sure the crank pin and rod aren’t damaged. Ck the one way bearing ,all the chains-wet clutch shift drum
etc and reseal-if things look and feels cherry and with zero prior issues ...then fix the head & top end components-only if your sure there’s no metal debris sitting in the-sump...just a few suggestions without seeing it for
Myself - good luck on your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here is something to watch out for.

Got my Rhino rebuilt ($2500- new head, piston/rings, valves, split case to check bottom end, all new bearings).
The guy that owned it before me had messed up the auto-decompression system when he was adjusting the valves.
Apparently it was running continuously with one exhaust valve being kept open. Makes sense, it was really hard to start,
and didn't have much top end. Expensive lesson.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my clutch tore down and doing the hunter world upgrades. I was doing some other routine maint. While in there and noticed the recommend adjustment schedule for valves. I know they have never been adjusted and she has 600+ hrs. On her but it runs fine. How often are you guys adjusting valves ? Are they prone to loosing tolerance ? Not sure if I should mess with them or not.

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On her but it runs fine. How often are you guys adjusting valves ? Are they prone to loosing tolerance ? Not sure if I should mess with them or not.
Is it easy to start? 600 is more than I'd go, but usually hard starting is a good sign.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it easy to start? 600 is more than I'd go, but usually hard starting is a good sign.
No, starts fine. I checked the valves yesterday, the exhaust are good but the intakes are tighter then minimum like 2-2.5. I left everything alone because it runs fine and I have put lots of high rpm miles on it ( no rev limiter ). Never Hurd of valve lash getting tighter.

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what happened. This spin weight system moves that pin stick out of the came back into the cam as the engine speed increases.
The previous owner had over re-assembled the one of those weights incorrectly, which prevented it from retracting with inertia and retracting the pin.
So my exhaust valve stayed open and eventually the keepers failed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts