Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to revive a 2004 Rhino 660 for a friend. Have been sitting broken last 6 years. Some parts were missing and some wires were spliced. What we have done are replaced the stator, traced and corrected the known bad wiring, checked the timing, rebuilt carburetor (also bought a new after market one), new water pump and new ignition coil. Initially there was no fire, now it does. As we crank the engine, it wants to start, but as soon as we press the gas pedal, the engine stops turning or a loud back pressure thru the carb. and it stop turning. What causing this? I assume there will be less pressure when apply the gas pedal. Please help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It definitely sounds like you're Cam timing is off. Getting the gears lined up properly can be a pain in the ass on the 660, you need to be sure to put tension on the chain guide as you hold down the cams and check all the timing marks. Then temporarily put the top cover on and hold pressure on the chain guide and rotate the engine a couple times then remove the top and re check the timing marks. I have had to redo the timing many times after rebuilding engines, it just moves a tooth or 2 almost every time. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the timing and it is correct, however, there is missing a spring for decompression mechanism. Put in the new cam and it can turn while depress the gas pedal. Still not running, fire seems weak, will get a new spark plug and compression gauge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm new to these vehicles, just bought mine this past July. Early on, sometimes starting the engine it would hit 2 or three times and die. Pushing the accelerator made it worse. Finally figured out to pull the choke a little. Using the choke give it more fuel and more engine RPM without reducing intake vacuum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm new to these vehicles, just bought mine this past July. Early on, sometimes starting the engine it would hit 2 or three times and die. Pushing the accelerator made it worse. Finally figured out to pull the choke a little. Using the choke give it more fuel and more engine RPM without reducing intake vacuum.
You have figured it out, they all have there own certain way to starting after some miles on it. A good carb cleaning every other year will make a big difference every time! Make sure to use Bombardier engine Tuner to soak the jets and clean out the internal passages and blow them out to check for flow. Ride on!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trying to revive a 2004 Rhino 660 for a friend. Have been sitting broken last 6 years. Some parts were missing and some wires were spliced. What we have done are replaced the stator, traced and corrected the known bad wiring, checked the timing, rebuilt carburetor (also bought a new after market one), new water pump and new ignition coil. Initially there was no fire, now it does. As we crank the engine, it wants to start, but as soon as we press the gas pedal, the engine stops turning or a loud back pressure thru the carb. and it stop turning. What causing this? I assume there will be less pressure when apply the gas pedal. Please help!
Your breather box.are tube.from breather box to moter is stoped up usually a rat nest but sounds like its stoped.up to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts